"Castlemaine, another town built on gold discovery" Castlemaine by Kate-Me
Castlemaine Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 62 photos
"In 1851 in a gentle wooded valley in a faraway corner of the world, gold was discovered.
Australia would never be the same again."
When I read these words at the Castlemaine Tourist Information Centre on an interpretive board recently, the words really struck a chord.
Yes, I think that's exactly how you could sum up a huge part of Australia,
especially the state of Victoria.
The whole area I live in, Ballarat, and around a 200 km radius north, north east and north west (and a lot of towns in between) was founded on the discovery of gold above all else. It's what really put Australia on the map.
As a friend remarked to me recently, "Nobody really cared about a distant convict outpost like Australia until gold was discovered". And it's true.
Sure, before 1851 there were growing numbers of free settlers and farmers (and ever increasing thousands of sheep), but the eyes of the world didn't turn to Australia until the discovery of gold captured the imagination of people far and wide, from all different nationalities and backgrounds.
More info on the region: www.maldoncastlemaine.com
- Pros:Gold history is still a celebrated and evident part of the city's heritage
- Cons:Seems a little bit remote and a fair way from a capital city
- In a nutshell:Great architecture, interesting history.
This is a nursery and small butterfly sanctuary combined. Be aware that the butterfly enclosure isn't heated, so this... more travel advice
Much more attractive these days as a tourist attraction than it would have been during its hellish years as a Prison. more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Castlemaine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pronounced Casselmain"
- "Castlemaine, another town built on gold discovery"
- "CASTLEMAINE..A GOLD TOWN..N.W. VICTORIA.."
- "The park in Castlemaine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castlemaine
- Hotels in Castlemaine
- Transportation in Castlemaine
- Shopping in Castlemaine
- Warnings and Dangers in Castlemaine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castlemaine
- 15 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Castlemaine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castlemaine
- updated a Castlemaine Travel Page "Castlemaine, another town built on gold discovery"
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Phone Service"
- Wrote a Review Skydancer Butterfly Gardens and Nursery in Castlemaine Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Skydancer Butterfly Gardens and Nursery"
Photos in CastlemaineSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues