"Castlemaine, another town built on gold discovery" Castlemaine by Kate-Me
Castlemaine Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 58 photos
"In 1851 in a gentle wooded valley in a faraway corner of the world, gold was discovered.
Australia would never be the same again."
When I read these words at the Castlemaine Tourist Information Centre on an interpretive board recently, the words really struck a chord.
Yes, I think that's exactly how you could sum up a huge part of Australia,
especially the state of Victoria.
The whole area I live in, Ballarat, and around a 200 km radius north, north east and north west (and a lot of towns in between) was founded on the discovery of gold above all else. It's what really put Australia on the map.
As a friend remarked to me recently, "Nobody really cared about a distant convict outpost like Australia until gold was discovered". And it's true.
Sure, before 1851 there were growing numbers of free settlers and farmers (and ever increasing thousands of sheep), but the eyes of the world didn't turn to Australia until the discovery of gold captured the imagination of people far and wide, from all different nationalities and backgrounds.
More info on the region: www.maldoncastlemaine.com
- Pros:Gold history is still a celebrated and evident part of the city's heritage
- Cons:Seems a little bit remote and a fair way from a capital city
- In a nutshell:Great architecture, interesting history.
Buda was built in 1861 and from the year 1863 was the home of noted silversmith Ernest Leviny and his family. The house... more travel advice
The former Gaol of Castlemaine is now one of its main tourist attractions. The other week I went there for the first... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Castlemaine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pronounced Casselmain"
- "Castlemaine, another town built on gold discovery"
- "CASTLEMAINE..A GOLD TOWN..N.W. VICTORIA.."
- "The park in Castlemaine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castlemaine
- Hotels in Castlemaine
- Transportation in Castlemaine
- Shopping in Castlemaine
- Warnings and Dangers in Castlemaine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castlemaine
- 14 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Castlemaine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castlemaine
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues