"Victoria's first Gold Town" Clunes by Kate-Me
Clunes Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 26 photos
This is the town where it all began, the huge Victorian gold rushes of 1851, which began with the first strike here, in little Clunes, about 25 kilometres from the city of Ballarat in Western Victoria (approx 120 kms N.W. of Melbourne)
Many towns exploded into being during the gold rush, and some went on to become prosperous cities.
Others faded away when the gold rush ended, and became somewhat sleepy small towns. Clunes is one of these.
One of the reasons why Clunes' main street is so wide, is that it used to flood, in the 'old days'.
In recent years Clunes it has started to receive more visitors, especially from the city.
A few years back, Wesley College in Melbourne decided to re-locate one of it's city campuses out to the countryside, and chose Clunes.
Also about 6 years ago Clunes was put under the spotlight for the filming of Ned Kelly, starring Heath Ledger and the town was almost totally transformed.
A small photo display in the Visitor Information centre (2 kms out of town) shows what the town looked like while it was all happening - that and a small Ned Kelly stuffed toy in the window of the museum seem to be the only reminders left of the film, unfortunately.
Parts of other series/films in the more distant past like Mad Max and Halifax have also been filmed in the town..
More recently, the hugely successful Book Town weekend (May 2010 will be the 3rd year) has been staged in Clunes, where almost every shop becomes the venue for a book shop or a book stand, and there's something for everyone
This pic is Clunes on a very rainy day recently (March 2010)...but note no overhead powerlines and the still charming streetscape in the quiet.
- Pros:A sleepy town with many historic buildings and no overhead power lines
- Cons:The Tourist Info centre is out at the edge of town and not in strolling distance from town centre
- In a nutshell:A town with a feel of a bygone era.
Not to be missed, if you're a book lover! For collectors, browsers, even plenty for bargain hunters too. Usually there... more travel advice
Here are some photos which my mother took just after Ned Kelly filming finished (the version with Heath Ledger and... more travel advice
Written Jun 27, 2003
The Creek Walk
Written Jan 31, 2006
Mt Beckworth Climb - November 16, 2005
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Clunes Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Clunes
- Transportation in Clunes
- Restaurants in Clunes
- Shopping in Clunes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Clunes
- 8 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Clunes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clunes
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues