"Fascinating historical town on the Murray River" Top 5 Page for this destination Echuca by Kate-Me
Echuca Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 148 photos
Echuca is a fascinating historic town on the Mighty Murray River (so called Mighty because it's over 2500 kms long) situated about 215 kms north of Melbourne. Its population these days is about 11,000.
Along with the larger city of Mildura, several hours further up the river, it is the riverboat/paddlesteamer capital of Australia.
I visited here in September 2005, then 2012, April 2013 and again in December 2013, and each time there were some different things to see plus new shops. In mid 2013 Echuca will open a new interpretive centre on the wharf which is worth about 3.5 million dollars, and it's just one of the signs that this town is prospering in a way many other Murray river towns are not. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the town has re badged itself as the Paddlesteamer capital, plus the fact it is not quite as far from Melbourne as other towns along the river (about 4 hours).
- Pros:Great for historical visits, shopping, fishing and river enthusiasts
- In a nutshell:Interesting, historic and quaint tourist town on the Murray River
A visit to Echuca isn't really complete without a ride on one of the 4 or 5 Paddlesteamers that run cruises (some 1 hour... more travel advice
I found this place (which I've stayed at twice now) to be very romantic and quaint, and quite unique. I don't know where... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Echuca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Echuca - A Future in the Past"
- "Echuca, historic port town"
- "ECHUCA - MOAMA"
- "Fascinating historical town on the Murray River"
- "Echuca A Regional Town Oozing with History"
- "HOME OF THE PADDLESTEAMERS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Echuca
- Hotels in Echuca
- Restaurants in Echuca
- Shopping in Echuca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Echuca
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Echuca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Echuca
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cruise on a Paddlesteamer on the Murray"
- Wrote a Review Cruise on a Paddlesteamer on the Murray in Echuca Things to Do
- updated a Echuca Travel Page "Fascinating historical town on the Murray River"
- Posted in Travel Auckland Forum "Re: new zealand nov 2009"
- Commented on one of iandsmith's Echuca travel pages
Photos in EchucaSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues