"Geelong & Great Ocean Road, Victoria" Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong by Kate-Me

Geelong Travel Guide: 318 reviews and 670 photos

Scenic South East Coast of Victoria

Geelong is Victoria's 2nd largest city, (population approx 125,000) located only about 1 hour's drive from Melbourne.
It's often referred to as "the city by the bay" as its main beach, Eastern Beach, is literally just a couple of blocks from the centre of the city.
It seems to me to be a very vibrant and livable city, with colorful art works - painted poles (bollards) along the foreshore, nice parks and plenty of restaurants and good shopping.
It also has a very nice, photogenic beachfront area at Eastern Beach, just a few blocks from the centre of the city.

The Great Ocean Road is Australias most spectacular and scenic coastal drive (and probably the best coast trip you could take)

It begins at the beach of Torquay, about 20 minutes from Geelong on Victoria's South coast and stretches west through trendy seaside surf resorts, quaint towns (like Apollo Bay with its rainforest backdrop) and some fishing villages for several hundred kilometres, past the famous 12 Apostles at Port Campbell to Portland (before the South Australian border)
These are some of my Great Ocean Road pages for the middle - eastern end of the journey.
For more, you can also visit my Apollo Bay pages.
To see the Western end (which begins at Portland), you might like to visit my Warrnambool, Tower Hill and Port Fairy pages.

Beach Sunsets

I find most of the beaches along the length of the Great Ocean Road very photogenic, regardless of whether they're famous or not.
I had never before heard of Johanna Beach before I visited here (and it's too small to be featured on major maps) but yet I find it just as scenic as the more famous beaches.
It's also the alternative venue used for the Ripcurl Surf Championships each year if the waves aren't big enough at Torquay.

• Pros:Wonderful scenery, rugged cliffs, beautiful beaches
  • Cons:The Great Ocean Road is slow and extremely twisty - take care
  • In a nutshell:The most spectacular coastal drive in Australia
  • Last visit to Geelong: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2006

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Spent some time in Geelong on both my Aussie trips, have family there. Great trips to the blowholes, apostles and villages/towns along the coast

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2006 at 1:39 AM

nice tips, beautiful trees. we will be through there in 2010 on the final leg of our Round-The-World scooter trip. I am just now learning about what to see in Australia besides Uluru Rock and friends met (VTer's) in Newcstle and Darwin.

• Feb 19, 2005 at 12:21 PM

Hi Kathryn, Nice page, we was there in 2000, do You forgot to visit Cape Bridgwater, lovely place.

• Mez77's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2003 at 5:08 PM

Hi Kate...Great 'Great Ocean road' page. Excellent tips. Hopefully will put them to good use when I'm down that way at X-mas.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2003 at 10:27 AM

It seems such a fascinating place, I wish I could see it all with my own eyes and experience the pleasure you have had...

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2003 at 8:24 PM

Nice page, I would love to get hear someday.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2003 at 8:30 PM

very unique Great Ocean Rd page.....lotta off the beaten path tips...and Johanna Beach is just sooo beautiful, thanx for sharing Kate

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2003 at 9:09 AM

what a beautiful place; fantastic page and travelogues!

• dlandt's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2003 at 8:01 PM

Once again, thank you for the map, it makes a lot of sense when you can place it. Nice page with plenty of great pics and lots of pleasant surprises.

Kate-Me

“Make photos while the sun shines!”

Badges & Stats in Geelong

Have you been to Geelong?

Latest Activity in Geelong