"Geelong & Great Ocean Road, Victoria" Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong by Kate-Me
Geelong Travel Guide: 319 reviews and 670 photos
Geelong is Victoria's 2nd largest city, (population approx 125,000) located only about 1 hour's drive from Melbourne.
It's often referred to as "the city by the bay" as its main beach, Eastern Beach, is literally just a couple of blocks from the centre of the city.
It seems to me to be a very vibrant and livable city, with colorful art works - painted poles (bollards) along the foreshore, nice parks and plenty of restaurants and good shopping.
It also has a very nice, photogenic beachfront area at Eastern Beach, just a few blocks from the centre of the city.
The Great Ocean Road is Australias most spectacular and scenic coastal drive (and probably the best coast trip you could take)
It begins at the beach of Torquay, about 20 minutes from Geelong on Victoria's South coast and stretches west through trendy seaside surf resorts, quaint towns (like Apollo Bay with its rainforest backdrop) and some fishing villages for several hundred kilometres, past the famous 12 Apostles at Port Campbell to Portland (before the South Australian border)
These are some of my Great Ocean Road pages for the middle - eastern end of the journey.
For more, you can also visit my Apollo Bay pages.
To see the Western end (which begins at Portland), you might like to visit my Warrnambool, Tower Hill and Port Fairy pages.
I find most of the beaches along the length of the Great Ocean Road very photogenic, regardless of whether they're famous or not.
I had never before heard of Johanna Beach before I visited here (and it's too small to be featured on major maps) but yet I find it just as scenic as the more famous beaches.
It's also the alternative venue used for the Ripcurl Surf Championships each year if the waves aren't big enough at Torquay.
- Pros:Wonderful scenery, rugged cliffs, beautiful beaches
- Cons:The Great Ocean Road is slow and extremely twisty - take care
- In a nutshell:The most spectacular coastal drive in Australia
La Parisienne is Geelong's only French Restaurant (as far as I know - not usual to find French restaurants here outside... more travel advice
The National Wool Museum is a must see for those interested in the pastoral history of Australia. It contains mainly... more travel advice
Written Apr 9, 2003
The Shipwreck Coast - Great Ocean Road
Written May 9, 2016
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Geelong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Geelong - My Home Town... er, City."
- "Sweetberry's "Geelong Page""
- "Geelong - The Jewel of a City on Corio Bay"
- "Geelong & Great Ocean Road, Victoria"
- "Gateway to the Great Ocean Road"
- "Keeweechic's Geelong, Victoria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geelong
- Hotels in Geelong
- Transportation in Geelong
- Nightlife in Geelong
- Restaurants in Geelong
- Shopping in Geelong
- Warnings and Dangers in Geelong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geelong
- 25 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Geelong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geelong
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues