"the site of bushranger Ned Kelly's last stand" Glenrowan by Kate-Me
Glenrowan Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 10 photos
The small town of Glenrowan is located in north east Victoria, on the highway between Melbourne and Sydney.
Tiny it may be, and also pretty kitch, but also very famous, being the site of legendary Bushranger Ned Kelly's last stand on June 28, 1880 - and as such, almost everything in town is devoted to him.
Ned was Australia's most infamous bushranger in history, with his own homemade suit of armour (see pics). There have been at least 2 movies about him, including the one starring Heath Ledger which was shot in the town next to mine in Central Victoria, Clunes.
There is an animated sound effects attraction that tells and shows the story of Ned's Last stand and shoot out...maybe more for kids but I did enjoy it myself a few years back.
On my 2015 visit, I notice that quite a few buildings have had the new coat of paint they badly needed last time, and there are extra shops that just weren't there last time, such as an antiques shop and a couple of extra cafes.
You can drive through this town in about 2 minutes.....but for the history, I guess it shouldn't be missed....
Ned Kelly's death mask can be seen at the Old Melbourne Gaol in Melbourne city, where he was hanged.
And here's another pic of the giant model of Ned Kelly Himself, wearing his trademark suit of armour.
- Pros:An entire town devoted to the life & history of Ned Kelly
- Cons:Everything is Ned Kelly....
- In a nutshell:Kelly Town! Great if you want to sink deep into the stories & legends
Kate's cottage sells the usual Ned Kelly paraphernalia - the t-shirts, stickers, signs, aussie souvenirs and more -... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Glenrowan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the site of bushranger Ned Kelly's last stand"
- "HOME OF THE KELLY LEGEND"
- "GLENROWAN.. THE NED KELLY TOWN"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glenrowan
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Glenrowan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glenrowan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues