"Outer Barrier Reef" Green Island by Kate-Me

Green Island Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 29 photos

We didn't actually visit Green Island itself, but it was the closest point to where we were on our Outer Barrier reef adventure, so this is where I shall put just a few of my Great Barrier Reef photos.

We didn't have to pay for a $130 per person scenic flight over the Great Barrier Reef to get this photo from a plane, but rather it was taken at the end of our trip on our flight home from Cairns aboard VirginBlue airlines!
Amazing, the windows of the plane weren't too scratched for photography and I wasn't sitting right over the wing for a change! There's a better aerial photo on my Cairns pages.

Here is the floating hotel where our boat, capable of holding about 40 passengers (run by Cairnsreefdive) dropped off some of our passengers, who were there for the 2 day visit.

Beneath the surface....breathtaking is one word to describe it.
So many different colours of coral, not always close together the way it looks on underwater marine shows on tv, but in some ways just as good as that.
There was a lot more blue coral than I think I can ever remember seeing on tv documentaries.
Sadly, only about 5% of the entire Barrier reef is protected, and many areas are damaged, from Crown of Thorns Star Fish, tourists, voracious feeding Parrot Fish who chomp through rock like it was bread, weather conditions, the sun bleaching coral and more.

• Pros:Good day out, learn a lot from the crew, see quite a lot of reef
  • Cons:The ride can be a bit rough if you're prone to seasickness...
  • In a nutshell:Turquoise water, fantastic fish and coral, marvellous experience!
  • Last visit to Green Island: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 16, 2003

Comments

Kate-Me

“Make photos while the sun shines!”

Badges & Stats in Green Island

Have you been to Green Island?

Latest Activity in Green Island