"Kangaroo Island" Kangaroo Island by Kate-Me

Kangaroo Island Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 723 photos

Kangaroo Island

Kangaroo Island is a wonderful little island off the coast of South Eastern South Australia, very close to Adelaide,, only 1 hour by ferry from Cape Jervis (which is about 1 1/2 hour's drive south of Adelaide)

The island has much to offer, particularly for wildlife lovers, particularly Fairy Penguins and seals. Being isolated from the rest of Australia means that the native animals flourish, having fewer predators than their mainland counterparts.

One of the earliest explorers to visit the island was Frenchman Nicolas Baudin, in 1801, so several landmarks on the island have French names, which is quite rare in Australia.
On Baudin's visit to Kangaroo Island, he encountered English explorer Matthew Flinders, and their meeting is commemmorated in place names (like Encounter Bay) and Baudin's landing place is marked by a large white dome/obelisk named "Frenchman's Rock"

L'explorateur Francais, Nicolas Baudin a visite cet Ile en 1801 et il a nomme plusieurs lieux.

It's only a 1 hour ferry ride to get there from Point Jervis, south of Adelaide.

You could go there for a day trip, but the ferry is, to me, too expensive to justify that.
To really see a good sample of what the island has to offer I recommend you spend at least 3 days there.

• Pros:One of Australia's largest islands - full of wildlife and scenic attractions
  • Cons:For young people it's a bit cut off from the mainland
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful place to see wildlife
  • Last visit to Kangaroo Island: Dec 1988
  • Intro Updated Apr 24, 2005

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM

really nice nature photos. would love to go there.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2005 at 11:22 AM

I love seals! I'll have to go there! Great page!

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2004 at 9:20 AM

good tips on that island, wish, I had more time there!

• Wann's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 8:38 AM

I seen this Island view on tv, then I search page here and found your page. Nice photos and tips, I hope to visit the island one day. take care //

• aramat's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2004 at 4:16 AM

A fantastic place, it's definitely worth to spend a few days there!

• VdV's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2004 at 12:44 AM

Your photos and recommendations make me miss K.I. I went in Nov. 2001 for 3 days, and had the best time. You're right--a great place to see wildlife. The fairy penguins' march up the sand/boardwalk is much less touristy than Philip Island....

• karin_kamphuis's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 10:42 AM

Nice island, looking forward to visit it in october this year!!! Nice tips and page! greetings karin

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2003 at 8:14 PM

Sounds like a nice place for me and my camera. :-)

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2003 at 8:31 AM

I was there now... 9 years ago and it was wonderful and so are your pics and descriptions... sorry I missed Paul's Place...

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2003 at 1:43 PM

I really wished I had gone over when in Adelaide. Didn't know they did the penguin tours.. wildife sounds wonderful to see not to mention those caves.

Kate-Me

“Make photos while the sun shines!”

Badges & Stats in Kangaroo Island

Have you been to Kangaroo Island?

Latest Activity in Kangaroo Island