"camping in Mt Kosciuszko National park" Kosciuszko National Park by Kate-Me

Kosciuszko National Park Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 175 photos

This photo I call my 'campfire ghost' and ironically it was one of the first photos I took on our 1 week camping holiday (Ballarat - Kosciusko National Park - Canberra - Illawarra Region - Sydney & return).
It's one of the first photos mainly because it took us about 10 hours including a few short stops to get here from home - by which time it was almost dark, and we were lucky to find a camp site (actually there are only really 2 camping areas inside the park - the rest is road and mountain and forest).
I assure you the photo is real (I'd have no idea how to use photoshop or make something like this).
I don't usually even take photos of campfires....but something made me take this one. I happened to be watching in the back of the camera as I took it, and saw the picture come up and freeze for it's couple of seconds before disappearing....and the image quite spooked me.

A 1950's stone hut 500 mts further down one end of the camping area (open to campers - if we'd known it was here we might have camped in it ourselves, for something different, and because even though it was February, it was freezing cold in our tent).

Another meomrable part of staying at Geehi ( roadside stop and camping area
located 32 kms from Khancoban on the Alpine Way) was waking up in the morning and feeling vibrations on the ground under our tent....like hopping vibrations.
The kangaroos weren't tame, though they'd obviously been used to seeing campers and were curious. This mother even let us approach and photograph her baby feeding.

• Pros:The highest mountain in Australia, well worth the trip
  • Cons:A long way to fuel stops, not many places to camp
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful scenery, great wildlife
  • Last visit to Kosciuszko National Park: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2011

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2006 at 10:23 AM

Looks like a beautiful place. Great pics, I really like your Charlottle Pass photos

• Dec 10, 2005 at 10:44 AM

Great page about your trip to the Kosciuszko National Park!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2005 at 5:06 AM

Interesting stuff, good pages

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2005 at 9:05 PM

Nice set of tips and photos for a mountain wonderland down under!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 1:53 AM

Superb intro & excellent tips Kate. That photo is worthy of going into a competition. You can see the face in it so clearly. Must bring my girls up here for some camping one Chrissy hols.

• zentrinko's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 5:51 PM

Great photos and commentary so far, the fire pic is nicely inviting. One can nearly feel the fire, or at least shiver from its absence. Zen

Kate-Me

“Make photos while the sun shines!”

Badges & Stats in Kosciuszko National Park

Have you been to Kosciuszko National Park?

Photos in Kosciuszko National Park