"camping in Mt Kosciuszko National park" Top 5 Page for this destination Kosciuszko National Park by Kate-Me
Kosciuszko National Park Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 188 photos
This photo I call my 'campfire ghost' and ironically it was one of the first photos I took on our 1 week camping holiday (Ballarat - Kosciusko National Park - Canberra - Illawarra Region - Sydney & return).
It's one of the first photos mainly because it took us about 10 hours including a few short stops to get here from home - by which time it was almost dark, and we were lucky to find a camp site (actually there are only really 2 camping areas inside the park - the rest is road and mountain and forest).
I assure you the photo is real (I'd have no idea how to use photoshop or make something like this).
I don't usually even take photos of campfires....but something made me take this one. I happened to be watching in the back of the camera as I took it, and saw the picture come up and freeze for it's couple of seconds before disappearing....and the image quite spooked me.
A 1950's stone hut 500 mts further down one end of the camping area (open to campers - if we'd known it was here we might have camped in it ourselves, for something different, and because even though it was February, it was freezing cold in our tent).
Another meomrable part of staying at Geehi ( roadside stop and camping area
located 32 kms from Khancoban on the Alpine Way) was waking up in the morning and feeling vibrations on the ground under our tent....like hopping vibrations.
The kangaroos weren't tame, though they'd obviously been used to seeing campers and were curious. This mother even let us approach and photograph her baby feeding.
- Pros:The highest mountain in Australia, well worth the trip
- Cons:A long way to fuel stops, not many places to camp
- In a nutshell:Beautiful scenery, great wildlife
Snowy Mountains scheme, which collects, stores and diverts water in the Snowy Mountains through a complex... more travel advice
Here's a closer view of the lizard and his lunch, up on the walk at Charlotte's Pass. more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Kosciuszko National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kosciuszko experience"
- "camping in Mt Kosciuszko National park"
- "Mount Kosciuszko - Highest point in Australia"
- "Kosciuszko National Park"
- "THE LARGEST & COLDEST NATIONAL PARK IN AUSTRALIA!"
- "Mount Kosciuszko National Park.4"
- "KOSCIUSZKO NATIONAL PARK N.S.W."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kosciuszko National Park
- Hotels in Kosciuszko National Park
- Transportation in Kosciuszko National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kosciuszko National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kosciuszko National Park
- 16 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Kosciuszko National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kosciuszko National Park
- updated a Kosciuszko National Park Travel Page "camping in Mt Kosciuszko National park"
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Phone Service"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Winter: Kangaroos against a snowy backdrop: Geehi"
- Wrote a Review Visit one of the power stations in Kosciuszko National Park Things to Do
Photos in Kosciuszko National ParkSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues