"Kuranda in the Cairns Rainforest" Top 5 Page for this destination Kuranda by Kate-Me

Kuranda Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 191 photos

There are several ways to get to Kuranda from Cairns - bus or car approx 40 mins from the city, but the most popular ways are by Skyrail over the mountain, rainforest, valleys, rivers and waterfalls, and by scenic diesel tourist train through tunnels and around the mountain (note: in Australia, 'tourist scenic train' often means the train will be steam, or it could be diesel, but regardless, be prepared it probably won't go much faster than 20 - 40 km hr, and this one is no exception, but it IS very scenic)

Many people choose to take one way of transport TO Kuranda, and another on the way back, to have both experiences.

I'd read a lot about Kurana and I know so many many tourists go there on a daily basis - I didn't want to be part of a 'swarm' of people (and it was school holidays) but I went along anyway, because there are other things to see there besides the touristy town centre (and actually I was pleasantly surprised - to locals it may be 'over touristy' compared to what it once was, but we found it vibrant without being too overcrowded or bustling.
All in all, we had a really enjoyable day in Kuranda and I really recommend it (particularly if you like wildlife.....I wouldn't have missed the various wildlife parks we visited here for the world, as they are impressive and rather unique, even to an Australian.

• Pros:You can shop to suit your budget, so many more things to see in town
  • Cons:Maybe one too many market stalls....even if the quality is good
  • In a nutshell:Great scenery, nice town, great Wildlife attractions
  • Last visit to Kuranda: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2007

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Kuranda is a nice place, you photos and information brings back good memories of my visit in 1996. Hope to return one day :)

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2005 at 8:23 PM

Wow, lovely pics, and you say you took them with your digital camera!? Tell me what brand & resolution it is, I want one of those! LOL... Congrats.

• liqdstar's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2004 at 3:39 PM

those are the cutest parrots!!! is that a sun conure in the midlle?

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2004 at 11:20 AM

Outstanding colorful pictures! I'd love to visit this place!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2004 at 7:30 PM

Lovely pix of the butterfly!

• Ewa-Monika's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2004 at 12:27 AM

Absolutely gorgeous picture!

• karin_kamphuis's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 11:06 AM

nice pics!!!! love the birds and we're heading to kuranda in september this year! We also want to take the train and skyrail (does it matter in which rank?) thanks! greetings!!!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2004 at 10:17 AM

More lovely birds, Kate. You would SO love Tambopata, Peru. That clay lick thing is awesome. Nothing like a tens of thousands of macaws and parrots descending on you in the early morning. : )

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2004 at 7:58 AM

Lovely birds! I like the bathing bird very much. So colorful!! Great page!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2004 at 12:50 AM

The butterflies are really beautiful! Nice to see you managed to get o picture of the Blue Ulysses!

Kate-Me

“Make photos while the sun shines!”

Badges & Stats in Kuranda

Have you been to Kuranda?

Latest Activity in Kuranda