"Kuranda in the Cairns Rainforest" Top 5 Page for this destination Kuranda by Kate-Me
Kuranda Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 206 photos
There are several ways to get to Kuranda from Cairns - bus or car approx 40 mins from the city, but the most popular ways are by Skyrail over the mountain, rainforest, valleys, rivers and waterfalls, and by scenic diesel tourist train through tunnels and around the mountain (note: in Australia, 'tourist scenic train' often means the train will be steam, or it could be diesel, but regardless, be prepared it probably won't go much faster than 20 - 40 km hr, and this one is no exception, but it IS very scenic)
Many people choose to take one way of transport TO Kuranda, and another on the way back, to have both experiences.
I'd read a lot about Kurana and I know so many many tourists go there on a daily basis - I didn't want to be part of a 'swarm' of people (and it was school holidays) but I went along anyway, because there are other things to see there besides the touristy town centre (and actually I was pleasantly surprised - to locals it may be 'over touristy' compared to what it once was, but we found it vibrant without being too overcrowded or bustling.
All in all, we had a really enjoyable day in Kuranda and I really recommend it (particularly if you like wildlife.....I wouldn't have missed the various wildlife parks we visited here for the world, as they are impressive and rather unique, even to an Australian.
- Pros:You can shop to suit your budget, so many more things to see in town
- Cons:Maybe one too many market stalls....even if the quality is good
- In a nutshell:Great scenery, nice town, great Wildlife attractions
Souvenirs, handcrafts, gifts. These markets are quite extensive. There is also a cafes and eateries area of it across... more travel advice
This was an impromptu performance we came across, put on by some Aborigines to entertain the wandering shoppers and... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Kuranda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Village of Kuranda"
- "Kuranda in the Cairns Rainforest"
- "Just enjoy the atmosphere of Kuranda"
- "Kuranda,village in the Rainforest"
- "Rainforest and Skyrail"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuranda
- Hotels in Kuranda
- Transportation in Kuranda
- Restaurants in Kuranda
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuranda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuranda
- 12 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Kuranda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuranda
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues