"Mackay" Mackay by Kate-Me
Mackay Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 124 photos
Our Queensland itinerary plan was Townsville - Cairns, and Mackay wasn't part of it, but when our particular air fare worked out cheaper to fly into Mackay and then find our own way to Townsville, we decided to do things this way.
Far from the slightly dumpy little old town I was expecting, Mackay is actually rather large - population of the area is about 130,000.
We only had an hour or so to explore the streets before our bus arrived, but what we saw impressed us.
A combination of historic (well, late 1880's) and modern buildings in Queensland style (large wide verandas even wider than normal Oz style), a palm tree lined mall with plenty of shops, plenty of restaurants nearby, starting at reasonable prices and going up from there.
- Pros:Nice town, not too large, not too small, close to beaches and island transfers
- Cons:Avoid the monsoon humid months: late Oct - April
- In a nutshell:Gateway to some of the Barrier Reef islands, and a great town by itself.
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Mackay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mackay means Beaches"
- "Platypus Spotting"
- "Mackay & the Whitsundays"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mackay
- Hotels in Mackay
- Transportation in Mackay
- Nightlife in Mackay
- Restaurants in Mackay
- Shopping in Mackay
- Warnings and Dangers in Mackay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mackay
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Mackay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mackay
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues