Maldon Things to Do Tips by Kate-Me
Maldon Things to Do: 9 reviews and 9 photos
Another beautiful example of Michel's work. There are approximately 15 works to see, and entry to his Gallery is free.
Opening hours are approx 9.30 am to 4.30 pm.
Address: 48 High Street, Maldon
Directions: in the same street as the Visitor Information Centre
This gives an idea of the calibre of Michel's work. This was one of my favourites - the hand just seems to come right out of the Carrara marble carving.
Maldon Marbles house
The Maldon marbles are classical sculptures of ancient Greek gods and the like - mythological scenes, fashioned from Italian marble.
The artist, Michel Dubey, is originally from Switzerland and has had his studio here in Maldon for 7 years or more.
The building housing the sculptures (and which is also the home of the artist) was built in 1862, and has been substantially restored.
Really a must see. This work is so fantastic, and amazing to be found in such a small, off the beaten track town. I believe this work could be famous anywhere, and people living in major cities would pay to see it, yet the artist obviously loves living in Maldon.
Address: High Street
Directions: diagonally opposite from the Tourist Information Centre.
This little cottage may look a little ramshackle, but it's actually rather quirky and interesting, and I enjoyed it quite a lot.
In the 'workshop' area of the barn and outside are displays of the terracotta/unglazed pottery items and ornaments which are made.
Entry price to the 'Gnome Garden' is posted as "A Smile". It's just a little area scattered with trees but there are gnomes and figures everywhere in particular groupings - such as Snow White and the seven dwarfs. Last time I was there they also had some nice rabbits and a few other small animals in hutches.
Address: Main street
Directions: on the left as you enter the town from the Newstead direction.
More Reviews (9)
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Maldon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heritage and more Heritage"
- "Maldon & Surrounds"
- "Maldon - my home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maldon
- Hotels in Maldon
- Nightlife in Maldon
- Restaurants in Maldon
- Shopping in Maldon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Aztec Ruins National Monument Hotels
- Salatiga Hotels
- Ronduite Hotels
- Provincia de Monte Plata Hotels
- Maluku Province
Badges & Stats in Maldon
- 13 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Maldon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maldon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues