"Mount Gambier" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier by Kate-Me
Mount Gambier Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 335 photos
Mt Gambier is a town of approximately 40,000 people in far south South Australia, just across the Victorian border.
It has much to offer the visitor and is also a very attractive place to live.
The town's architecture is very nice and unique. Many of the houses and buildings are built of locally sourced limestone, called Mt Gambier Stone.
The area is very heavily forested, due to softwood pine plantations.
The variety of scenery in and around just this one town alone is excellent.
It is only 20 kilometres from the coast and several beaches and approximately the same distance from the famous sinkhole diving ponds of
Picanninny and Waurn Ponds.
Only 20 minutes away also is the large volcano of Mt Shank, with its summit walk to the large crater within it.
Within the township are several lakes, including the famous Blue Lake, which is a brilliant blue from November - March each year and a deep navy blue or brown for the rest of the year. What makes the Blue Lake such a brilliant colour is still a relative mystery though scientists have put forward several theories.
The lake is almost bottomless - over 100 metres deep, and supplies the whole area with water, with no noticeable change in water level.
There is also Valley Lake, a little smaller, but always green.
Then there is Browne's lake, which is always brown, and little more than a puddle insize compared to the others
All 3 are adjacent to each other, which makes the colour differences even more interesting.
Here's a better view of the Blue Lake...an aerial one
- Pros:A wonderful city to visit
- Cons:The weather in winter can be a bit wetter than other areas
- In a nutshell:So many attractions to see in one town.
Picanniny and Ewen Ponds are sinkholes for snorkelling and diving, located about 20 minutes from Mt Gambier, near the... more travel advice
We found this a nice spot for a picnic, with a large children's playground and plenty of birds & swans around. Also next... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Mount Gambier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE BLUE LAKE"
- "Welcome to my home!!"
- "MT GAMBIER"
- "Mount Gambier"
- "Gateway to South Australia"
- "Picanniny Ponds Snorkelling"
- "Mount Gambier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Gambier
- Hotels in Mount Gambier
- Transportation in Mount Gambier
- Nightlife in Mount Gambier
- Restaurants in Mount Gambier
- Shopping in Mount Gambier
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Gambier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Gambier
- 39 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Mount Gambier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Gambier
Photos in Mount GambierSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues