"Heritage Highway" Oatlands by Kate-Me
Oatlands Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 29 photos
From Southern Tasmania we took the Heritage Highway (Highway 1 which runs inland between Hobart & Launceston). Green hills gave way to more brown once more as we journeyed north.
For once, the road was only curved, not tightly windy as always before. It was a nice change to be able to drive at 100 km/hr.
Along the Heritage Highway is the largest grouping of Tasmania's most historic villages, many convict built.
The good thing is, with the straighter roads, you can even do the whole Highway in just one day, as we did.
The population of Oatlands is only approx 550, so we were quite surprised at just how much there is to see here in one small town.
Located 84 kms north of Hobart (almost halfway between Launceston & Hobart), it has the largest collection of sandstone buildings (138) in a village setting in Australia. 87 of these line both sides of the main street.
The town had a very nice character and feel. The free self guided walking tour was excellent. Descriptive plaques on many historical buildings I found rather helpful too.
Here's a nice rural scene just out of the town, where many english-like stone walls and some old ruined stone buildings can also be found.
Many of the towns in the Heritage Highway region are very colonial/georgian. I’ve deliberately focused on that aspect, because it’s what I loved most (disclaimer: the whole area doesn’t really ALL look like England, just some).
- Pros:Attractive Heritage buildings and bridges galore
- Cons:The restoration of some towns is extremely slow
- In a nutshell:A beautiful heritage drive, often reminiscent of England
This is a building beside the historic Callington Mill, which has been under restoration of some form or another as... more travel advice
This building was constructed in 1832 and was originally a Coach Inn and changing stables. It was renamed for the 100... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Oatlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mount Ossa"
- "Heritage Highway"
- "Oatlands on the way"
- "Built from Sandstone"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oatlands
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Oatlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oatlands
Photos in OatlandsSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues