"Pemberton, home of the famous Gloucester Tree" Pemberton by Kate-Me
Pemberton Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 257 photos
We arrived in Pemberton at about 6 pm at the end of Day 3 of our 5 day trip of south western Western Australia. It wasn't our first choice for a stop for the night, but we had spent more time than we thought at spectacular beaches and other locations along the way during the day, and so ended up here, knowing nothing about the town.
On first glance, it didn't look too interesting.....a couple of pubs, a takeaway shop, some B & B's in the area that looked a bit pricey for our budget.... a couple of cafes, one specialising in the local delicacy, Marron (a kind of fresh water crayfish), a backpackers, a timber mill, and not much else worthy of note, I thought (apart from the famous Gloucester tree which we were here to see...and for my husband to climb the next morning).
The next morning however when we arrived at the Gloucester tree, only about 5 kms from the township within Gloucester National Park, and I stepped out of the car and was soon surrounded by parrots...I quickly revised my idea of the town.
I hadn't intended all along to climb the tree (60 metres tall with just iron spikes all the way around to make your way up...not on your life with my fear of heights!
As Paul and Marcha headed off to climb it, I had resigned myself to a quiet and a bit dull wait in the nice looking park at the bottom.... until the birds arrived to entertain me. I wouldn't have been up that tree for the world... I was having more than enough fun down below, and at 8.50 am, the normally popular park was empty apart from a couple of workers, so I also had all these lovely birds to myself (see travelogue)
Later a few more people arrived in the park in their cars, and to my amazement, the birds descended on them too, quite friendly, whether those people had food or not! Quite unusual for a bird to land on you in the wild without you having to tempt it with food (better for their health to feed them bird seed but I had none with me, not having expected to see tame wildlife here...)
Part of the township of Pemberton. It's just a small town, population approx 1000, with some important industries like the timber mill, which is one of the biggest in Western Australia (part of it pictured here) and forestry, fishing and the marron (fresh water crayfish) industries, and also a lot of fruit and vegetable growing, including avocadoes.
- Pros:Beautiful wildlife at close range
- Cons:quite a long way off the beaten path if Perth is your starting point....
- In a nutshell:More than just home to the famous Gloucester tree!
The most comfortable part were the bunks....nothing wrong with them at all. We had a triple room (double bed for the... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Pemberton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pemberton, Day 2"
- "Snottygobbles and the Duke of Gloucestor"
- "Pemberton and the Southern Forests"
- "Pemberton - Food Lovers Heaven!"
- "Pemberton, home of the famous Gloucester Tree"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pemberton
- Hotels in Pemberton
- Transportation in Pemberton
- Restaurants in Pemberton
- Shopping in Pemberton
- Warnings and Dangers in Pemberton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pemberton
- 5 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Pemberton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pemberton
Photos in PembertonSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues