"Pemberton, home of the famous Gloucester Tree" Pemberton by Kate-Me

Pemberton Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 257 photos

We arrived in Pemberton at about 6 pm at the end of Day 3 of our 5 day trip of south western Western Australia. It wasn't our first choice for a stop for the night, but we had spent more time than we thought at spectacular beaches and other locations along the way during the day, and so ended up here, knowing nothing about the town.
On first glance, it didn't look too interesting.....a couple of pubs, a takeaway shop, some B & B's in the area that looked a bit pricey for our budget.... a couple of cafes, one specialising in the local delicacy, Marron (a kind of fresh water crayfish), a backpackers, a timber mill, and not much else worthy of note, I thought (apart from the famous Gloucester tree which we were here to see...and for my husband to climb the next morning).

The next morning however when we arrived at the Gloucester tree, only about 5 kms from the township within Gloucester National Park, and I stepped out of the car and was soon surrounded by parrots...I quickly revised my idea of the town.
I hadn't intended all along to climb the tree (60 metres tall with just iron spikes all the way around to make your way up...not on your life with my fear of heights!
As Paul and Marcha headed off to climb it, I had resigned myself to a quiet and a bit dull wait in the nice looking park at the bottom.... until the birds arrived to entertain me. I wouldn't have been up that tree for the world... I was having more than enough fun down below, and at 8.50 am, the normally popular park was empty apart from a couple of workers, so I also had all these lovely birds to myself (see travelogue)

Later a few more people arrived in the park in their cars, and to my amazement, the birds descended on them too, quite friendly, whether those people had food or not! Quite unusual for a bird to land on you in the wild without you having to tempt it with food (better for their health to feed them bird seed but I had none with me, not having expected to see tame wildlife here...)

Part of the township of Pemberton. It's just a small town, population approx 1000, with some important industries like the timber mill, which is one of the biggest in Western Australia (part of it pictured here) and forestry, fishing and the marron (fresh water crayfish) industries, and also a lot of fruit and vegetable growing, including avocadoes.

• Pros:Beautiful wildlife at close range
  • Cons:quite a long way off the beaten path if Perth is your starting point....
  • In a nutshell:More than just home to the famous Gloucester tree!
  • Last visit to Pemberton: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2005

Comments

Kate-Me

“Make photos while the sun shines!”

Badges & Stats in Pemberton

Have you been to Pemberton?

Latest Activity in Pemberton