"Port MacDonnell, Lobster Capital of Australia" Port MacDonnell by Kate-Me
Port MacDonnell Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 66 photos
This little beachside town just across the border from Victoria, is Australia's southern Rock Lobster capital, so fishing is very big here indeed.
Otherwise, the town is fairly small, with the town centre made up of a couple of fish and chip shops, an op shop, old historic Customs House, Maritime museum, a park, beach foreshore, caravan parks down one end and not much more.
Most action in the town seems to take place on the pier or on the water, where there are many small boats and fishing boats.
We had a lunch stop here, enjoying the sunshine as we sat on the foreshore and ate our takeaway fish & chips from the blue Parade Fish shop (also good views of the ocean from this shop).
From the beachfront, you can also see an impressive mural in the distance which is worth checking out.
It covers the whole back and side walls of the Red Cross building in the street.
The beach here looks pretty enough, and fairly clear for swimming. At the other end of town one of the caravan parks sits almost right on the beach - could be an ideal spot for a relaxed beach holiday with no shopping distractions...
It's worth the drive a few kms further to see the rocky cliffs of Cape Northumberland, where little fairy penguins come ashore at dusk (we were only there during the day time, but if you go, you'd want to stay well back from the crumbly cliff edges). There is a viewing platform, however...worth trying out, though the beach is a long way below the cliffs. Binoculars might be a good idea.
- Pros:Great for fishing, a nice small town
- Cons:If you don't like fishing, there's not a lot else here
- In a nutshell:A small town where fishing is the main attraction
Port Macdonnel doesn't have a lot of shopping, but each time we visit, we pass the same little sign on the main road,... more travel advice
This building, also on the beachfront (the town is so small that most things are on the beachfront side) was once the... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Port MacDonnell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT MACDONNELL"
- "PORT MacDONNELL"
- "Port MacDonnell, Lobster Capital of Australia"
- "Rock lobster capital of Australia!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port MacDonnell
- Restaurants in Port MacDonnell
- Shopping in Port MacDonnell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port MacDonnell
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Port MacDonnell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port MacDonnell
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues