"Melbourne" South Melbourne by Kate-Me
South Melbourne Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 50 photos
Melbourne (population 3.3 million) is undoubtedly Australia's most multicultural and diverse city.
It is home to peoples of over 100 different nations.
For example, in the city there is the Greek Quarter and Chinatown, several asian dominated suburbs, and 'Little Italy' (the suburb of Carlton, right next to the city)
In Fitzroy, there is also a Spanish Quarter, very unusual to see in Australia, with Paella restaurants and Flamenco bars.
One thing I enjoy in Melbourne is going there on the train and simply walking along the city streets, with no particular purpose in mind, just exploring.
Melbourne may look very modern as you drive through, but if you look more carefully, you'll find so many beautiful old buildings sandwiched in between newer skyscrapers.
- Pros:Melbourne is a very multicultural city and accepting of many different nations who immigrated here and helped to make the city we have today."
- Cons:: "Peak hour traffic on the Westgate bridge leading into the city can be a problem - but then so is peak hour in any city"
- In a nutshell:: "Melbourne has often been voted top 3 in the World's Most Livable City awards."
Part of the local culture of Melbourne is all the different ethnic group/international festivals held throughout the... more travel advice
This time, one week later than the first time we visited Caffe Trilussa, we were there with a party group (des nouveaux... more travel advice
Written Jul 21, 2003
Written Jan 31, 2004
Melbourne Skyline & Carlton Caffe Trilussa party
Written Apr 1, 2004
Almost Angels gig at Geebung Polo Club, 1-4-04
Written Mar 21, 2005
FDU 20/3 Federation Square petanque gathering
Kate-Me's Related Pages
South Melbourne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Melbourne, Australia"
- "South Melbourne Beach"
- "My Next Birding Destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Melbourne
- Hotels in South Melbourne
- Transportation in South Melbourne
- Nightlife in South Melbourne
- Restaurants in South Melbourne
- Shopping in South Melbourne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Melbourne
- 12 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to South Melbourne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Melbourne
Photos in South MelbourneSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues