"Swan Hill" Swan Hill by Kate-Me
Swan Hill Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 14 photos
Swan Hill received its name in the early 1840's when the famous Australian explorer Thomas Mitchell camped there and was kept awake at night by the noisy swans.
I didn't notice any swans in this town today, so perhaps they are all gone.
Swan Hill is situated approximately 5 hours drive north (and slightly to the east) of Melbourne in the Riverina/Murray River district of northern Victoria.
The mighty Murray river not only divides most of Victoria from New South Wales, but in the west it also flows into South Australia right to Goolwa, not far south of Adelaide.
There are many different types of landscape to be seen in the area
On the one hand, we have the mighty (and rather murky brown) Murray River, vineyards, orchards, wheat , sheep and dairy farms, and on the other hand, palm trees everywhere and a Mediterranean climate.
This city also boasts more sunshine per year than the Gold Coast! I don't know how they do it , but I'm assured it is true, and the temperature was 7 degrees warmer than at home in Ballarat, only 3 hours drive south!
- Pros:Lots of sunshine, several different types of landscapes
- Cons:A long way from any major cities or other centres - a bit isolated
- In a nutshell:Great weather, seems a nice lifestyle, city quite self sufficient
The rooms were nicely appointed with modern furnishings. more travel advice
In its heyday last century, the Gem was the largest paddlesteamer to ply its trade up and down the huge length of the... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Swan Hill Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Swan Hill
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Swan Hill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swan Hill
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues