"Townsville" Townsville by Kate-Me
Townsville Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 149 photos
I'm not sure what I was expecting of the city of Townsville, but it was a surprise to me, anyway.
I think I was imagining it to be smaller (yet it has over 130,000 people, and 50% of the population of the area between here and Cairns is aged at or below 25 years old, and this is very young for Australia, which more and more is having an aged population in many areas).
I thought it would be more touristy - it was touristy, yes, but it was also very functional, and goods weren't highly priced or cheap and tacky looking.
Basically, it looked like a normal city by the coast, on bit of a river harbour reaching almost the mall, with just a lot more attractions and varied things to do than you would find in other less adventure/touristy cities.
This river part in the town centre is undergoing what looks like massive multi storey resort/apartment development, so in a few years more, the impression I have of it being quite unspoilt could have changed...but I hope it manages to retain what it has, because there is a lot of charm.
It is also a modern city (parts of it are only just turning 100 years old). Part of this modernity is also due to the fact that parts of the city have been rebuilt several times after cyclones.
There was some very nice and colourful archeticture in the historic buildings they do have, a bit different to what I was expecting, huge 2 storey pubs with really wide verandas in Queenslander style, and the famous 2 storey Queenslander houses which are built up on legs and hollow underneath to allow air to flow under and keep the houses a bit cooler (which from November - May in the wet humid season, must be a real battle).
Here is a view of part of Townsville's harbour, as seen from the 2nd floor balcony of one of the dining rooms at the Transit Centre Backpackers
The Shamrock Hotel, in typical Queensland building style (with even extra wide verandahs)
- Pros:Very clean streets, tropical trees, attractive surroundings
- Cons:November - May is the humid/monsoon season, and there often seems to be the risk of cyclones
- In a nutshell:An attractive city with a lot of charm and nice water areas
I particularly enjoyed the Townsville Mall - it's quite long and cobblestoned, with some attractive little garden and... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Townsville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Townsville, Queensland - The Best"
- "Terrific Townsville"
- "Townsville...Home of the Cowboys"
- "Townsville - Along the Great Barrier Reef"
- "Sweetberry's Townsville Page."
- "Townsville Page"
- "soooooooo slllooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Townsville
- Hotels in Townsville
- Transportation in Townsville
- Nightlife in Townsville
- Restaurants in Townsville
- Shopping in Townsville
- Warnings and Dangers in Townsville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Townsville
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Townsville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Townsville
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Townsville hotel reviews
- Mercure Inn Townsville
- 267 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Allen
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Orpheus Island Hotel
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Summit Motel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013
- Civic Guest House
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Adventurers Resort
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Seagulls Resort
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Jupiters Townsville Hotel & Casino
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Hotel Ibis Townsville
- 203 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Aquarius On The Beach Townsville
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Quest Townsville
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Holiday Inn Townsville
- 217 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Rydges Southbank Townsville
- 193 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013