"Warrnambool on the Great Ocean Road (ver. ENG/FR)" Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool by Kate-Me
Warrnambool Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 138 photos
Warrnambool (population 30,000) is the largest city on the Great Ocean Road, located approximately 200 kilometres West of Geelong.
(This area is also known as the Shipwreck Coast as over 180 ships are believed to have been wrecked along its length). Especially the western half is characterised by rough seas and rocky coastline, but as well, dangerous currents and rip tides.
Despite this, many of the beach towns here offer good surfing, and some have sheltered back beaches for swimming.
La petite cité de Warrnambool se situe dans la Lady Bay. C'est la plus grande ville sur la route de Great Ocean Road, située approximativement à 200 Km à l'Ouest de la cité de Geelong
On appelle aussi cette région "La côte des naufrages" car plus de 180 navires s'y sont échoués.
The Great Ocean Road extends West from Torquay, near Geelong, for around 300 kms to the Portland region.
Most of the cliffs along its length are of soft limestone rock, so the coastline is easily weathered and is constantly being eroded and re-shaped by rough seas and often strong, blustery winds.
In my website, I have divided the Great Ocean Road into two sections: the somewhat calmer Eastern end (under "Geelong") and the rougher Western portion from Portland - Warrnambool is found in these pages.
La route commence à Torquay (près de Geelong) et continue vers l'ouest sur environ 300 km, pour finir près de Portland à l'autre bout de la côte ouest de Victoria.
La plupart des falaises qui longent cette route sont calcaires. Ainsi, le vent, souvent violent, la mer houleuse et les vagues qui viennent s'y écraser érodent fortement la côte..
Pour mon site web, j'ai divisé "Great Ocean Road" en deux parties
Le côté Est, où la mer est plus clémente et où il y a plus de plages et moins de falaises, se trouve dans les pages nommées "Geelong"; le côté Ouest, de Warrnambool à Portland se trouve dans ces pages.
There are so many shops in the centre of town though that it also feels like a city, and it's sometimes easy to forget that the ocean is just a few blocks away.
You can have the best of both worlds within minutes; natural beauty, good shopping and more.
At first glance the city seems quite modern, with several specialty stores, department stores, many other shops and cafes, restaurants etc, but upon closer inspection, many buildings in the central main streets are quite historic.
The area was first settled around the 1840's.
Il y a tant de magasins dans le centre ville, que l'on a l'impression d'être dans une capitale et parfois il est facile d'oublier que la côte n'est qu'à quelques minutes en voiture.
- Pros:Nice beaches, green parks, plenty to do, no matter your interests
- Cons:New condo developments, decrease in live pub nightlife
- In a nutshell:Wonderful maritime history, rugged attractive coastline and good shopping
As many libraries throughout Victoria (especially in small cities and towns), if you book it early in the day, you can... more travel advice
I liked the Fletcher Jones gardens because it seemed an unusual thing to have for a factory shop, to be surrounded by... more travel advice
- See All Koalas at Tower Hill
- See All Former pub, by the looks of it, now...
- See All The Beach
- See All Don't feed the Tower Hill Emus!
- See All Luxury
Written Jun 6, 2003
Live Music at the Crititerion Hotel
Written Apr 22, 2004
Scenes from the Beach/Coast in Warrnambool
Written Nov 25, 2003
November Gig at the Criterion
Written Apr 23, 2004
Warrnambool Sunsets and Flagstaff Village by night
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Warrnambool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Warrnambool on the Great Ocean Road (ver. ENG/FR)"
- "Where the Whales Play"
- "Cockatoos and Majestic Gums"
- "Warrnambool - a town for the future"
- "Warrnambool, Wind, Sand, Sea, Surf"
- "Welcome to Warrnambool - Largest City on GOR"
- "Largest city on the Great Ocean Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Warrnambool
- Hotels in Warrnambool
- Transportation in Warrnambool
- Nightlife in Warrnambool
- Restaurants in Warrnambool
- Shopping in Warrnambool
- Warnings and Dangers in Warrnambool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Warrnambool
- 41 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Warrnambool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Warrnambool
Photos in WarrnamboolSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues