"Montpellier, the old and the new" Montpellier by Kate-Me
Montpellier Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 699 photos
Montpellier is a city in the south of France, capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon région, 10 kms inland from the Mediterranean coast.
It is one of the few cities in France without (Gallo-)Roman history and background.
Montpellier was first mentioned in a document of 985, and was founded under a local feudal dynasty, the Guillem counts of Toulouse, who joined together two hamlets, built a castle and walls around the settlement.
There are just two surviving towers of the city wallis, the later built Tour des Pins and the Tour de la Babotte.
Montpellier came to prominence in the 10th century as a trading centre, with trading links across the Mediterranean world.
The city has a nice botanical garden, the first in France, founded in 1593.
We only spent one day in and around the city itself, but another 4 days elsewhere in the region, while staying with our local friends Erick and Mary.
- In a nutshell:An elegant southern French city with beauty and grand architecture
Another view of Montpellier from the town centre, which I particularly enjoyed, the huge square of Place de la Comedie. more travel advice
I knew we were going to see Flamingoes while we were around Montpellier, but I couldn't have imagined that they would be... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Montpellier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montpellier and surroundings"
- "The Secret World of Montpellier"
- "Montpellier, South of France"
- "sandravdp's new Montpellier Page"
- "My place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montpellier
- Hotels in Montpellier
- Transportation in Montpellier
- Nightlife in Montpellier
- Restaurants in Montpellier
- Shopping in Montpellier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montpellier
- 9 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Montpellier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montpellier
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues