"Kanchanaburi..." Top 5 Page for this destination Kanchanaburi by yen_2

Kanchanaburi Travel Guide: 463 reviews and 1,333 photos

...and the sorrounding countryside..

Bridge of the River Kwai

It was a beautiful Saturday morning where it was a great day for visiting the well known countryside, Kanchanaburi*-where it stands  on the banks of  the Mae Khlong River,  at  a point  where  it separates into the  Kwai  Noi  and the Kwai Yai. Where merely about 2 and a half hours from Bangkok. The famous River Kwai Bridge is without doubt the most visited destination, it is a part of the death railway to Burma, where many P.O.W have died. A very sad experience yet it's great to know some history! There are also fine National Parks with many waterfalls and the usual elephant riding and bamboo rafting.

Anyhow, the tour started very early in the morning, they(tour guide-coach) picked us up around 6:30 am and directly go picked up another 3 visitors around Sathorn area. And then, we departed to Kanchanaburi around 8:00am and arrived 10:30 exactly at the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery:* The cemetery of the remains of over 6,000 prisoners of war, who lost their lives during the heavy construction of the "Death Railway"..and after a few minutes of waiting for the other three tourist, I did took few photo's as it's a cemetery.. we directly go to JEATH Museum(World War II Museum)*:It's an open air museum constructed in the form of actual prisoners of war (POW) camp. There are collections of photographs, pictures, articles, pistols, knives and so many other things from the construction of the "Death Railway" . It was very hot but we did managed to take a long tail boat down to see the famous, Bridge of the River Kwai*, there are alot of people around. But of course, the highlight of the tour was to see and cross the bridge..so, I did cross the bridge where the train almost hit me..thanks to the old man trying to save me coz hubby was in the other side. Anyway, one of those experiences...after a while we waited for the train and that it took us 1 1/2 hour to be in Nam Tok Station* to just see the "Death Railway"..oh my... Anyway, what a wonderful, tiring, scarey experience we had! After that, we went to ride an Elephant, that was a pretty darn consolation I had...I did ride the Elephant! Yohooo...The best part of it was the Ele riding!=)

The photo is the graves of more than 6,000 of the Prisoners of War during the construction of the "Death Railway". There are alot of people visiting the cemetery even young students..I don't know what are they doing there but they're writing something..on my way to this page you'll see some of them in my tips.

Of course, they took a picture of me driving..I wouldn't get my butt out there without any evidence!heheh...At first,it's really scarey but it's okey as hubby is with me but when the driver told us that if we want to go drive up, hubby then answered,No! Ohh...my, then, I voluntered to be the driver...It was alot of fun, Ele is very strong and they're trained...It was a great experience...Have you ride an Elephant? If you haven't get out there and go visit "Thailand"heheh

• Pros:You can witness some historical sights..
  • Cons:Bring your hat, eyeshades, and umbrellas if you don't want to be grilled under the sun..
  • In a nutshell:The Death Railway and the famour River Kwai, located!
  • Last visit to Kanchanaburi: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2004

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Excellent page and information on Kanchanaburi. I may also use the same transport method to visit this place in January.

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2005 at 12:17 AM

"Death Railway" nice pics, sad history.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 2:27 PM

Loved these pages...read them all...and tipped most. I'm not of that generation...but I had tears in JEATH. Happy travels to you...Blu

• CandS's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2005 at 2:55 AM

Wonderful page!!! We'll go there in October...I can't wait to do an elephant ride... And we'll stay in the same hotel.

• dragontml's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 8:04 AM

i had my first ever elephant ride too in kanchanaburi. was much worth visiting this place !

• Feb 1, 2004 at 9:53 AM

Hey Girl - Did I tell you that I'm trying desperately to acquire an internship or volunteer position in Thailand? Yup, I am. Pray for me will ya and then I'll be able to experience everything you've shared in these awesome pages of yours. =)

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2003 at 12:59 PM

A great page which brought back memories of my trip to Kanchanaburi. I saw and did just about everything you did, except ride the elephant.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 8:07 AM

Wonderful page Yen! Beautiful photos and great witing! Wow, great that you ride on the elephant!!! :-))) I would love to do that myself some day :-)

• kenmerk's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2003 at 12:24 AM

Sawatdee, Yen.. Nice page.. I visited this area about 10 years ago...

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2003 at 5:44 AM

A great page, Yen :) Thanks for sharing. By the way .. what is that in hawkers stalls? Fruits or something delicious that I found [look-a-like] in Saladaeng???

Badges & Stats in Kanchanaburi

Have you been to Kanchanaburi?

Latest Activity in Kanchanaburi