"Kanchanaburi..." Top 5 Page for this destination Kanchanaburi by yen_2
Kanchanaburi Travel Guide: 470 reviews and 1,352 photos
It was a beautiful Saturday morning where it was a great day for visiting the well known countryside, Kanchanaburi*-where it stands on the banks of the Mae Khlong River, at a point where it separates into the Kwai Noi and the Kwai Yai. Where merely about 2 and a half hours from Bangkok. The famous River Kwai Bridge is without doubt the most visited destination, it is a part of the death railway to Burma, where many P.O.W have died. A very sad experience yet it's great to know some history! There are also fine National Parks with many waterfalls and the usual elephant riding and bamboo rafting.
Anyhow, the tour started very early in the morning, they(tour guide-coach) picked us up around 6:30 am and directly go picked up another 3 visitors around Sathorn area. And then, we departed to Kanchanaburi around 8:00am and arrived 10:30 exactly at the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery:* The cemetery of the remains of over 6,000 prisoners of war, who lost their lives during the heavy construction of the "Death Railway"..and after a few minutes of waiting for the other three tourist, I did took few photo's as it's a cemetery.. we directly go to JEATH Museum(World War II Museum)*:It's an open air museum constructed in the form of actual prisoners of war (POW) camp. There are collections of photographs, pictures, articles, pistols, knives and so many other things from the construction of the "Death Railway" . It was very hot but we did managed to take a long tail boat down to see the famous, Bridge of the River Kwai*, there are alot of people around. But of course, the highlight of the tour was to see and cross the bridge..so, I did cross the bridge where the train almost hit me..thanks to the old man trying to save me coz hubby was in the other side. Anyway, one of those experiences...after a while we waited for the train and that it took us 1 1/2 hour to be in Nam Tok Station* to just see the "Death Railway"..oh my... Anyway, what a wonderful, tiring, scarey experience we had! After that, we went to ride an Elephant, that was a pretty darn consolation I had...I did ride the Elephant! Yohooo...The best part of it was the Ele riding!=)
The photo is the graves of more than 6,000 of the Prisoners of War during the construction of the "Death Railway". There are alot of people visiting the cemetery even young students..I don't know what are they doing there but they're writing something..on my way to this page you'll see some of them in my tips.
Of course, they took a picture of me driving..I wouldn't get my butt out there without any evidence!heheh...At first,it's really scarey but it's okey as hubby is with me but when the driver told us that if we want to go drive up, hubby then answered,No! Ohh...my, then, I voluntered to be the driver...It was alot of fun, Ele is very strong and they're trained...It was a great experience...Have you ride an Elephant? If you haven't get out there and go visit "Thailand"heheh
- Pros:You can witness some historical sights..
- Cons:Bring your hat, eyeshades, and umbrellas if you don't want to be grilled under the sun..
- In a nutshell:The Death Railway and the famour River Kwai, located!
It's not that dangerous but when you want to go visit the Nam Tok Station to fully discover and see the Death Railway... more travel advice
We visit the Bridge of the River Kwai by overlooking to it! I mean, we rented a long tail boat from the Jeath Museum and... more travel advice
- See All Sari-Sari
- See All Local Bus
- See All Dogs
- Not that Trap as you can imagine!
yen_2's Related Pages
Kanchanaburi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The River Kwai..."
- "The Bridge over River Kwai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanchanaburi
- Hotels in Kanchanaburi
- Transportation in Kanchanaburi
- Nightlife in Kanchanaburi
- Restaurants in Kanchanaburi
- Shopping in Kanchanaburi
- Warnings and Dangers in Kanchanaburi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kanchanaburi
- 40 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Kanchanaburi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanchanaburi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 109 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hua Hin Intro, 59 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chon Buri Intro, 53 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayuthaya Intro, 48 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samet Intro, 48 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 52 reviews, 51 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 38 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iligan City Intro, 48 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 42 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo-to Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues