"tHe Bangkok in my mind.." Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok by yen_2

Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,366 reviews and 23,038 photos

The name is abbreviated as Krungthep or Krungthep Mahanakorn, which means City of Angels. The name 'Bangkok' was derived from 'Bang Kork' and refers to the original site. Bangkok is also means as the City of Olives" as Bang means City and kok means Olive as Bangkok has alot of Olives during the past but now vanished.

The place has lots to offer, shopping is Amazingly great with it's Palaces and Tuk-tuk's(motorcyle) in the main high ways..traffic and great people! Bangkok is hot and crowded, but it's fairly clean and lot of fun things to do. The best food is often found on the street as some says, you can never get hungry in Thailand! There's an enormous variety of dirt-cheap things to eat. The food is great with that chili, ginger, big red chillis in that sweet coconut soup! I could live in this place forever since they have the cheapest things in the world...Btw, please be aware of the taxi drivers. As the tourist has gone more and more.Taxi drivers too is getting cazier..well, I'm speaking through my experiences..You can always report them to the neariest Police Station.

Don't forget to bargain streetside! Start in the half of the quoted price and go up from there and do it with a smile..;-)

NOTE

All my pictures in here are mine, please do not use them in any form without my consent..Thanks!

Well, it's hard to say but I left Bangkok with some imprints that are hard to explain! I know, I will be missing this place.. I guess, we'll keep comin' back...As I had the opportunity to discover this Amazing city while we were living there, I had developed and even have deep love to the people that I encountered everyday. Bangkok will take your breath away! Bustling, chaotic and polluted but loving every moment that I spent..I guess for the past 18 months staying there, I had some enough knowledge and impressions about the area but please..please..don't ask me specific streets as I have problems with their language(I know some basic thai words)! The best place you can fully discover the life of the Bangkokians are in the Chao Phraya River take a long tail boat that will charter to you around the river(sometimes I thought this is ocean), take sometime to check their canals as Thailand was also known as "Venice of the East"..you cannot say something bad about the city without a glimpse of how they live the life and for many reasons, I can say that Bangkok is lovely! Of course, there are up's and down..Take some thai spa, visit the wats and don't forget something from Thailand!

I found this very helpful and useful site and thought of sharing this to all those who are planning and coming here in Thailand specially in Bangkok!Thailand Tourism Page

• Pros:Shopper's Paradise, Great Food, Cheap and Nice People!!!
  • Cons:Streets are full of vendors, humid and chaotic Traffic!
  • In a nutshell:Let's have some Shoppin'
  • Last visit to Bangkok: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 11, 2006

• Mar 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Hi.. I am from singapore....may i know how much baht those branded bags costs? estimate the price so that I will know the price from there I ll plan for my shopping over there in bangkok....

• Apr 28, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I miss the Oishi Restaurant in BKK. But I can't remember which restaurant that I've been to in 2007. I'm going back this coming June, can you please tell me which Oishi restaurant is best from all available. My email esahabatmu@gmail.com

• evikun's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2008 at 2:47 AM

This is my first comment at all! i'm so pround to know that you like Bangkok My home town.(I also love Tokyo too. I've been there twice!)

• Dec 31, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Happy new year 2008! Nikos from Greece

• makiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 5:08 AM

Hi, Thanks for all the great information on Bangkok and Thailand. I'll continue to browse through it. I hope to visit the area in the Fall. Thanks, Robert

• vahiddavoodi's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Hi yen,i love your method to explain your experiences.your pages are amazing and your own pictures are unique.thank you for sharing.greeting from Tehran.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Hello From Dubai :-) Really enjoyed reading the rest of your tips that I missed last time! Have a nice day / Jess

• poetjo's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 1:47 PM

I am planning a trip to Bangkok in May and I really enjoyed reading all of your tips and comments. It was very helpful to me. Thanks, Joanne

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Well done tips Miss Yen! Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• trav4bus's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2006 at 1:48 AM

nice pages.. congrats

Badges & Stats in Bangkok

Have you been to Bangkok?

Latest Activity in Bangkok