"Great Day Trip" Top 5 Page for this destination Martha's Vineyard by diver-x
Martha's Vineyard Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 325 photos
We took a Fall day-trip to the island of Martha's Vineyard in October. If you are visiting the Boston area, consider spending a day or 2 on the Vineyard - especially in the off-season, when the crowds go away. Breath-taking beaches, charming gingerbread cottages, reliable old lighthouses, cute antique and craft shops, comfy coffee houses & diners and fine cuisine await you.
You can see a lot of the highlights of the island in a day, but if you want to see it all, plan on spending at least 3 days. For a great, relaxing vacation, spend a week or two.
It takes about 90 minutes to reach the ferry in Woods Hole from Boston. Woods Hole is the main jumping off point to the island. There is plenty of parking in Woods Hole - leave your car behind. There is excellent bus service all over the Vineyard, and plenty of bike rentals too.
High season on the Vineyard is late May through early September. I think the perfect time to visit is late September to early October, when the weather is still pleasant and you can get a table at just about any cafe or restaurant without a wait.
- Pros:Great beaches & architecture, lots of history, shopping & food!
- Cons:Kind of expensive
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth the effort to get there. Lovely place!
We just walked around and ogled all of the gorgeous houses & cottages in this compact village, & took a bunch of photos.... more travel advice
Edgartown is the home of of the Vineyard Museum. Learn about the island's whaling history, check out intricate ship... more travel advice
diver-x's Related Pages
Martha's Vineyard Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MARTHA'S VINEYARD ~"
- "A Day Trip to Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard"
- "Marthas Vineyard"
- "Great Day Trip"
- "Martha's Vineyard"
- "Martha's Vineyard"
- "Martha's Vineyard--an island retreat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Martha's Vineyard
- Hotels in Martha's Vineyard
- Transportation in Martha's Vineyard
- Nightlife in Martha's Vineyard
- Restaurants in Martha's Vineyard
- Shopping in Martha's Vineyard
- Warnings and Dangers in Martha's Vineyard
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Martha's Vineyard
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Martha's Vineyard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Martha's Vineyard
Photos in Martha's VineyardSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 68 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayman Islands Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Intro, 7 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bar Harbor Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (9)
Latest Martha's Vineyard hotel reviews
- Mansion House
- 280 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013