"diver-x's Grand Cayman Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Cayman Islands by diver-x
Cayman Islands Travel Guide: 904 reviews and 1,832 photos
Feb 2008: We wracked our brains for a destination for our vacation in Feb 2008. Unfortunately we'd had to put off our vacation the previous Fall in order to spend time working on our house. I had wanted to go back to Europe that Fall, but as Feb rolled around, here in chilly New England, we realized what we really needed was a nice, warm, Caribbean vacation and some great diving. Being the budget conscious travelers that we are, we scoured the web for the lowest airfare to anyplace warm. Surprisingly, the lowest fare turned out to be a non-stop flight to Grand Cayman, a diving destination we are quite familiar with, and love! So we jumped on the plane tickets but that left us with the problem of finding affordable accommodation. Not an easy task in Grand Cayman! I'd had good luck finding reasonable digs in Hawaii on www.vrbo.com so we gave it a try and came up with a somewhat reasonable condo in West Bay. One great reason to use VRBO is that most of the time, you're dealing directly with the owner, not some management company. So they were open to negotiation when we asked if the price was firm. Turned out to be a great deal and the perfect location for us: Right next door to Turtle Reef, one of our favorite dive sites, ever. In fact we were able to drop in the water right at the condo (Coconut Bay), which is a fantastic dive site in its own right! Please bear with me as I update my Grand Cayman tips. There are lots of changes to be made, especially since Ivan hit the Caymans since our previous trip!
Feb 2003: My fiance and I decided to take a long Valentine Weekend and dive for a day in Grand Cayman. Little did we know the "Blizzard of the Century" would hit the north-east USA and we would be stranded there all week! Such a sacrifice! Our one day of diving turned into 6 days with a total of 15 dives! We found a few places we hadn't seen before and visited some of our favorites from before. It turned into a nice, unexpected vacation!
Sept 2000: My fiance and his sister and brother-in-law who we went with were all divers and they all insisted I get certified for the trip. So I got certified in the cold water at home to be ready Cayman. This shouldn't have been my first dive trip because every other dive location I've been to since then just doesn't compare!
- Pros:Great diving, great weather, turquoise water....
- Cons:Non-divers might be bored
- In a nutshell:Dive, Dive, Dive
Hammerheads is right on the harbor in George Town with indoor and outdoor patio seating. The view on the water is great!... more travel advice
We really enjoyed this 2 bedroom condo in West Bay on Grand Cayman. The location was perfect for us, right next door to... more travel advice
- Best diving & snorkeling. . .
- Tourist Paradise
- See All At your own risk. . .
- Cayman folks are mighty proud...
diver-x's Related Pages
Cayman Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "diver-x's Grand Cayman Page"
- "GRAND CAYMAN ISLAND"
- "Grand Cayman Island, Georgetown"
- "MacKiwi's Cayman Islands Page"
- "I Love Cayman Islands"
- "Cayman Islands"
- "Cayman Islands Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cayman Islands
- Hotels in Cayman Islands
- Transportation in Cayman Islands
- Nightlife in Cayman Islands
- Restaurants in Cayman Islands
- Shopping in Cayman Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Cayman Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cayman Islands
- 28 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Cayman Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cayman Islands
- Posted in Travel Massachusetts Forum "Re: Which of these atm cards is..."
- Uploaded a Video to Cayman Islands
- Wrote a Review Casual Dining on the Waterfront in Cayman Islands Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Casual Dining on the Waterfront"
- updated a Cayman Islands Travel Page "diver-x's Grand Cayman Page"
Photos in Cayman IslandsSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 68 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayman Islands Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liguria Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Intro, 7 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bar Harbor Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues