"Freeport & Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island" Top 5 Page for this destination The Bahamas by diver-x

The Bahamas Travel Guide: 2,017 reviews and 4,556 photos

We spent a week at a time-share on Grand Bahama Island in Sept 2002. Freeport and Lucaya are the main tourist areas on Grand Bahama, and are typical Caribbean resort spots. We were scuba-diving most of the time during the day, so we didn't get to see a lot of the island, but it didn't really seem as if there was much to see anyway. I'd recommend Grand Bahama Island to people who like to spend all of their time on or in the water or those who enjoy staying on a resort. Backpackers can skip this one.

• Pros:Great beaches, nice resorts, above average scuba diving.
  • Cons:Expensive, not much to see on land.
  • In a nutshell:Great place to get away from it all.
  • Last visit to The Bahamas: Sep 2002
  • Intro Written Sep 23, 2002

• Oct 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM

yeap dis right here

• deedlebug's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I also came across this place while we were there. It was nice, we didnt have a kayak but we swam in it. The current was kind of strong when we were there so be careful!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 6:08 AM

I've not made it to the Caribbean yet but hope to early next year. Gillybob greetings

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 10:06 AM

I'm way too chicken to scuba dive, but I could use some snorkeling, sun and crystal blue water right now--your page makes me long for the Caribbean!!

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 9:30 AM

Wow, sounds like a great vacation, except for the 'dinner & show package'!! Yikes! We're off to Abaco (the out-Islands) this summer ourselves, so enjoyed your tips & pics! Penny

• kenmerk's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 3:58 AM

Hey, Bad Denny's food and worse entertainments.... Sorry I missed that... Have to find my way back to Lucaya one of thee days.... Cheers...

• dlandt's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2004 at 7:44 PM

I'm going here in July, diving. This time, we will know how to work that underwater camera, thanks for the diving tips, I looked because of your handle. See the travelogues for the GBR in Oz under my Cairns page for so-so pics.

• DrewV's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2003 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for the warning about the Dinner-Show. Sounds excruciating. At least the diving is good though!

• stonefree's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2003 at 3:07 AM

Love to try the booze cruise!!! Bahama sounds a place to be!

• AndyRG's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2003 at 5:29 AM

The greek meals can be cheaper, of course... I liked the picture on your tourist trap!

diver-x

“Always know where your towel is.”

Badges & Stats in The Bahamas

Have you been to The Bahamas?

Videos in The Bahamas