"diver-x's New Hampshire Page" Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire by diver-x

New Hampshire Travel Guide: 1,516 reviews and 4,432 photos

I grew up in New Hampshire and lived there up until 14 years ago when I decided to become a city-girl. My family still lives there, so I visit all the time.

New Hampshire is a haven for hikers, campers, skiiers and boaters. A lot of folks here in Massachusetts keep a cabin or a camp up in NH and retreat there for the weekend. Generally, the further north you travel in NH, the further from civilization you are.

Where you want to stay in NH depends on what activities you like. Boaters and fresh-water fishermen enjoy the Lakes region (Lake Winnipesauki, pictured), which is in the middle of the State. Campers and skiers enjoy the Mountain region, just to the north of the Lakes region. Ocean-goers flock to the 10-mile long NH Seacoast in the south-east, Hunters and people who really just want to get away from it all go to the very north of NH, Coos county.

My neck of the woods, the south-west is known for its rolling hills, orchards, idyllic New England villages, antique shops and flea markets. The south-west is also home to Mount Monadnock, estimated to be the most-climbed mountain in the world, aside from Mt. Fuji in Japan.

Old Man Gone, May 3, 2003

The state symbol for New Hampshire, the Old Man of the Mountain, also known as Great Stone Face, is now just a memory. The Old Man was lost when the naturally formed granite ledges that made up his face fell into the valley below on May 3, 2003.

I find it very sad that the generations to come will never see the Old Man's face. I remember marveling at the sight of the Old Man when I was a kid, and the sight never ceased to amaze me, even as an adult.

• Pros:Great place for outdoor activities
  • Cons:Black flies, mosquitoes from Spring through Summer
  • In a nutshell:A nice place to grow up.
  • Last visit to New Hampshire: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2006

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 10:31 PM

I still mourn the loss of "the old Man"...and my time in Bristol. I'll have to make a trip back some day. Did you ever ski Tenney?

• Aug 26, 2006 at 4:15 AM

I lived in NH until 3 years ago. The weather there isn't bad, like it was when I was a kid with winter temps below zero most of the time & LOTS of snow. I was very LUCKY to be there! Now I am 3 hrs. to beach & 4 hrs. to Mts. & it's humid as hell in NC!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 4:56 AM

Excellent tips. I can't wait to go there in Autumn.

• Jan 28, 2006 at 7:17 AM

great NH page. Being a Massachusetts native Nh is my get away state. My home page has alot of Nh on it. Wish I was up there permanently.

• masc4s's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 8:27 AM

Excellent overview on NH Sharon. Super well written tips. I have a freind in Claremont. Flown 1000s of miles but have yet to ride in a hot air balloon... I'm jealous..:))!

• MoeB52's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2004 at 3:47 PM

Great Tips on NH ..From some one who grew up there .. and who visits there alot.. Thanks , Moe

• gilescorey's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2004 at 12:20 AM

Wonderul tip on Mt. Washington ascents. You covered it all...

• Jan 15, 2004 at 5:48 PM

Great Page Showing the Beautiful Countryside!!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2004 at 9:32 AM

Great page, Sharon.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2003 at 12:27 PM

Great hiking opportunities in NH, with your tips it all seems nice and easy :-) I wish the Old Man were still there...

diver-x Used To Live Here!

diver-x

“Always know where your towel is.”

Badges & Stats in New Hampshire

Have you been to New Hampshire?

Latest Activity in New Hampshire