"diver-x's Hawaii Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) by diver-x

Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide: 10,603 reviews and 27,502 photos

Our First Visit

In July 2001, we spent a few nights in Honalulu and then 8 nights on the Big Island in the Kona district. Can't wait to go back! We tried a dive on Oahu in Hanauma Bay, but the surf was very strong and tough to kick past the breakers. Eventually made it, but not worth the effort. On land, we hiked a small waterfall near the arboretum. It was anticlimactic. The Polynesian Cultural Center had a nice luau (but no alcohol!) and a very nice show after dinner. On the Big Island, diving took most of our time, but we made it to the volcano and Waipio Valley (above), which was gorgeous! The highlight of the trip was hiking to the lava flow along the ocean's edge for sunset lava viewing and when we got to the flow - surprise! - my boyfriend of 9 years proposed! :>) I said yes.

Looking for a place to stay? Go to http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/accomg.htm for links to listings for various types of accomodation on each island.

Please see my travelogues for more pictures from beautiful Hawaii!

In June-July 2005, my husband and I, along with my sister, her husband and my nephew made a long-planned trip together to Hawaii and visited 4 islands: Oahu, Big Island, Maui and Kauai. Being with my non-diving sister and her family, we spent a lot more time doing more typical activities in Hawaii than on our last trip, though we did manage to get a few dives in. We had a wonderful time, of course. How can you not have a wonderful time in Hawaii? Lots of great memories and I'm so very greatful. It turned out this was the last time I would see my brother in law, Perry. Perry died suddenly in the Fall of 2005.

• Pros:Mountains, valleys, volcano, SCUBA!!!
  • Cons:None!
  • In a nutshell:Go! Go! Go!
  • Last visit to Hawaii (State of): Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2007

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 6:24 AM

Excellent description of your Waipio hikes in the forum. I'll definitely have to check that out the next time I visit the Big Island!

• Mar 28, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Beautiful Hawaii pictures in your travelogues

• kelnsha's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Great tips! Reminds me of my 1st manta ray encounter at Similan islands, Thailand last year. Cheers from Singapore!

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Best of luck! I like it (~_~)

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 2:14 AM

So far I've seen your off the beaten path tip and I like it! =)

• chodearm's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 6:58 AM

Oahu, its on the itiniery for Sept. Mucho excited.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2006 at 7:02 AM

nice tips!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2006 at 5:33 AM

Hi Sharon. I really enjoyed your photos & writing style. Very informative tips with lots of personal experience. Great :-) I'm also glad to see that you enjoyed my hometown (Heidelberg)... Greetings from Dubai :-) Jess

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2002 at 11:31 AM

Great underwater pictures! Makes me want to jump in the water right now.

• Sep 27, 2002 at 6:47 AM

Outrigeer Reef has great night life-on the beach , Duke's Canoe Club,and across the street from International Marketplace.

diver-x

“Always know where your towel is.”

Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?

Latest Activity in Hawaii (State of)