"Hiking the Cinque Terre" Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria by diver-x

Liguria Travel Guide: 2,715 reviews and 7,997 photos

Cinque Terre in Liguria

Before we started off on our tour of Tuscany, we stopped over in La Spezia in Liguria for a couple of nights so we could explore the Cinque Terre. The five coastal fishing villages that make up the Cinque Terre are connected by rail and by hiking paths. From La Spezia, we hopped on the train to Riomaggiore and hiked north to 3 more of the villages up to Vernazza. By that time it was dinnertime and so we decided to finish the hike the next morning. So the next day, we took the train from La Spezia to Monterosso and then we hiked south back to Vernazza.

Highlight of our Italy Tour

It was too bad that we opted to see the Cinque Terre first in our tour of western Italy. It was the highlight of our trip and everything else we did just didn't quite measure up. I think big part of the reward of the Cinque Terre was the effort it took to hike it. The trail ranges from incredibly easy in the south to very challenging in the north. And each village along the way is a reward to look forward to at the end of each leg of the trail. If you take the train from village to village, you're really missing out.

Cliff put a video together of the trip. Click here to see it!

• Last visit to Liguria: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2006

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2008 at 2:53 AM

Started looking at questi tips ci sono molto interessanto. Now have finished tonight (here in Sydney). Will try to have 2 nights here next April. Hiking sth is the best way? Ciao da Sydney.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Sharon, thanks for your clear and concise instructions on visiting the Cinque Terre; saved them to my travel guide! We plan to travel there in April ~ Helen

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2006 at 1:25 PM

Very practical and interesting tips. I also like visiting cemeteries, they can tell you so much not only about the dead but also about the living.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2006 at 12:05 PM

an excellent page and great travelogues & pics , bringing back great memories ! Thanks for sharing !

• Tdiver's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2006 at 6:25 AM

As i used to live on a yacht 20 years ago in Porto Venere enjoyed your pages but would have liked a contact no. for the diving.They won the world cup then WHAT A PARTY.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2005 at 5:30 PM

great tips and travelogues!

• Sep 29, 2005 at 10:00 AM

Wow, fantastic Cinque Terre travelogues! I almost feel like I've been there (and now must surely go there). Very nice job!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2005 at 2:56 AM

This is surely a part of Italy I want to visit one day. Great tips about the hiking.

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2004 at 11:01 AM

It's long ago that I've been there, but I still remember the endless hike through the wineyards in the summer heat!

diver-x

“Always know where your towel is.”

Badges & Stats in Liguria

Have you been to Liguria?

Latest Activity in Liguria