"Divers' Paradise: Bonaire" Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire by diver-x
Bonaire Travel Guide: 308 reviews and 762 photos
The Fall dive vacation in 2003 was a trip to Bonaire. We stayed at a Dive resort on the water in Kralendijk and got 19 dives for the week! This was my first trip with my new underwater housing for the digital camera, so there are a lot of fishy photos! Don't miss the travelogues:
Bonaire Underwater I
Bonaire Underwater II
Bonaire was a volcanic island. The dominant feature on the north side of the island looks like a mirror image of Diamond Head from Waikiki Beach. Washington-Slagbaai National Park is on the north side, which features desert hills, caves and Indian inscriptions.
The south side of the island is very flat and is used primarily for salt production. Sea water is pumped into shallow inland basins and is allowed to evaporate. The water becomes pink as the salt becomes more and more concentrated. Flamingoes hang out in the shallow, pink basins.
The turquois and blue water is so beautiful and inviting! Snorkeling and scuba diving are the main activities here and you can easily see why.
- Pros:Inexpensive shore diving; good bang for the buck.
- Cons:Extremely hot; Not much to offer for landlubbers.
- In a nutshell:Keep on diving!
The town wharf is a great place to catch a sunset! more travel advice
Another cluster of cabins once inhabited by salt mining slaves is known as Red Slave. more travel advice
- See All Dive site: Hilma Hooker
- Pack the Underwater Camera!
- See All Ribs & Chicken
- Watch out while driving
- Shore Diving Galore
- Internet Access on Bonaire
diver-x's Related Pages
Bonaire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bounty of natural beauty"
- "Bonaire Sights - Mostly Above Water"
- "Divers' Paradise: Bonaire"
- "Bon Bini!"
- "Divers' Paradise"
- "Natural Island Paradise"
- "Bonaire-snorkeling and scuba heaven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bonaire
- Hotels in Bonaire
- Transportation in Bonaire
- Nightlife in Bonaire
- Restaurants in Bonaire
- Shopping in Bonaire
- Warnings and Dangers in Bonaire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bonaire
- 26 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Bonaire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bonaire
Photos in BonaireSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 68 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayman Islands Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liguria Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Intro, 7 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bar Harbor Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues