"San Pedro, Caye Ambergris" Top 5 Page for this destination Ambergris Cay by diver-x
Ambergris Cay Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 401 photos
The first Monday of September is a holiday here in the US, so we decided to take advantage of the long weekend to do some diving in Belize. We had been to Belize before and saw the mainland (loved it!) so we thought we should visit the Cayes this time. After much debate, we decided on Caye Ambergris due to the fact that it was off season in Belize and we wanted to have as many diving, hotel & restaurant options as possible. Caye Ambergris is probably one of the more visited places in Belize and there are plenty of hotels & resorts to choose from. Caye Ambergris is just a 15 minute flight from Belize City. We weren't sure if we should spend the money to fly there or if we should schlep our way via land taxi, then water taxi. A quick inquiry with Maya Island Air made our decision easy. To fly over costs about $47 USD and Cliff was able to get an airline employee discount on top of that, so the choice was obvious. And the flight was a scream! The tiny plane fit about 10 or 12 of us and is was NOT air conditioned, but the view and the time saved certainly made it worth it.
Our main objective going to Caye Ambergris was to scuba dive. While a day of diving at Ambergris sure beats a day of diving at home, I don't think we need to go back for the diving. Visibility just isn't up to par with the rest of the Caribbean, so it's not all that colorful. Dive masters aren't very ecologically minded either. Our dive masters didn't have a problem with handling the wildlife. One of them hugged a nurse shark, another chased a crab down and passed it around for all to hold (if you wanted). I've never seen any dive master condone wildlife handling before - not even in Jamaica. Overall we were disappointed with the diving due to our high expectations, but we still had fun. In my opinion, the best attractions in Belize are on the mainland.
- Pros:Plenty of hotels to choose from, very relaxed
- Cons:More expensive than the rest of Belize
- In a nutshell:Worth it for a long weekend!
Caramba serves spicy local and Mexican dishes in downtown San Pedro. We are not seafood lovers and we couldn't for the... more travel advice
There are a number of resorts along the beach at Caye Ambergris that have open air bars that you can walk up to from... more travel advice
diver-x's Related Pages
Ambergris Cay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Relaxing Ambergris Cay Getaway"
- "A Short Stay on Ambergris Cay"
- "A real Gem"
- "Beautiful Belize"
- "San Pedro, Caye Ambergris"
- "Ambergris Caye"
- "Lively but still Belize"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambergris Cay
- Hotels in Ambergris Cay
- Transportation in Ambergris Cay
- Nightlife in Ambergris Cay
- Restaurants in Ambergris Cay
- Shopping in Ambergris Cay
- Warnings and Dangers in Ambergris Cay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ambergris Cay
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Ambergris Cay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambergris Cay
- Posted in Travel Massachusetts Forum "Re: Which of these atm cards is..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Diving Ambergris Caye"
- created a Ambergris Cay Travelogue "Diving Ambergris Caye"
- Wrote a Review Caramba about Cocina Caramba in Ambergris Cay Restaurants
- Commented on one of CoAir13's Ambergris Cay travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 68 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayman Islands Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Intro, 7 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bar Harbor Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues