"San Ignacio, Belize: Home Base For Adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio by diver-x
San Ignacio Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 419 photos
San Ignacio is not the most picturesque of towns. It's more like a place that Indiana Jones might stop by to pick up supplies before heading into the jungle. Our first impression of the town was that it was a dumpy little h&ll-hole, but it didn't take long to change our minds.
San Ignacio is a great home-base for your Belize adventure. Nearby, you can explore Mayan ruins, go horseback riding, hiking, caving, cave-tubing, kayaking or canoeing. You can even take day trips or overnights at Tikal in Guatemala.
There are plenty of guide services in town, with signs on the street announcing their specialties. Just walk down the street and you'll find something fun to do.
There are also several very good & reasonably priced restaurants & hotels in the area. So go ahead and splurge on your day-trip. Your lodging & food are cheap!
Most of the Must See Activities listed on the page are actually done in nearby areas, not actually in San Ignacio. However, you will be able to do all of these activities if you are staying in San Ignacio.
- Pros:Plenty of day-trips to choose from; good food & cheap hotels
- Cons:Not a pretty town; might scare the timid.
- In a nutshell:Give San Ignacio a chance! It grows on you!
Believe it or not, there is a sizeable Amish community in Belize. On our way to Barton Creek, we passed through an Amish... more travel advice
Hannah's was my favorite restaurant in San Ignacio. There's no air-conditioning, and no glass in the windows. The tables... more travel advice
diver-x's Related Pages
San Ignacio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Ignacio - Temples, Caves & Tubing"
- "5 Days In Belize's Jungle"
- "The Lodge at Chaa Creek"
- "San Ignacio, Belize: Home Base For Adventure"
- "San Ignacio - a one stoplight town"
- "Bridge and Stoplight"
- "On horses through the Jungle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Ignacio
- Hotels in San Ignacio
- Transportation in San Ignacio
- Nightlife in San Ignacio
- Restaurants in San Ignacio
- Shopping in San Ignacio
- Warnings and Dangers in San Ignacio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Ignacio
- 10 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to San Ignacio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Ignacio
Photos in San IgnacioSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 68 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayman Islands Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Intro, 7 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bar Harbor Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues