"Karlskrona - my home" Top 5 Page for this destination Karlskrona by nickenyfiken
Karlskrona Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 163 photos
Karlskrona is a beautiful little city, I think, of about 60 000 inhabitants, situated on a couple of islands in the inner part of an archipelago in the Baltic sea, in the south east of Sweden.
The city was founded in 1680 by the Swedish king Karl XI, when the area had newly become Swedish instead of Danish, through the threaty of Roskilde. The king wanted a new base for the navy, and decided that the city should be situated here, because of strategical reasons. The place was centrally located in the Swedish empire, which by that time except the nowaday Sweden also included Finland and areas in the nowaday Baltic states and northern Germany. Another of its pro's was that the sea usually do not freeze as much in the winter here as in Stockholm, where the Navy formerly used to be located. For a short time the city was the third biggest in Sweden, but nowadays it is small and cute :) A few years ago central parts and parts of the city that have connections to the naval history of the city got a place on the United Nations world's heritage list.
- Pros:It's beautiful, the sea, nature
- Cons:Too windy, and the winters are so dark and boring :(
Situated on the small island "Dragsö" with wonderful nature two kilometers from downtown. You can camp or rent a little... more travel advice
Utklippan - a beautiful small island, the one farthest out in the achipelago. It's very small with a small lighthouse on... more travel advice
nickenyfiken's Related Pages
Karlskrona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karlskrona - my home"
- "Welcome to Yogesh Bhole's Karlskrona Page"
- ""Jag elska Sverige", is what you say after a visit"
- "E-v-i-t-a's new Karlskrona Page"
- "Igraine's new Karlskrona Page"
- "Kaitlin's new Karlskrona/Ronneby Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Karlskrona
- Hotels in Karlskrona
- Transportation in Karlskrona
- Nightlife in Karlskrona
- Restaurants in Karlskrona
- Shopping in Karlskrona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Karlskrona
- 14 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Karlskrona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Karlskrona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlskrona Intro, 14 reviews, 8 photos
- Visingsö Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cheboksary Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nizhniy Novgorod Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umeå Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Copenhagen 1 review, 1 photo
- Malmö Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Lund 1 review