"Visingsö" Visingsö by nickenyfiken
Visingsö Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 16 photos
Visingsö is an island in Vättern, the second biggest lake in Sweden, and it is incredibly beautiful, like taken from an old tale. There are the ruins of one old castle and one old palace, several old churches and a couple of villages with small, cute houses and a lot of horses and cows.
In 12th and 13th century several kings lived here, such as Magnus Ladulås, who died at the castle at Näs. Later on, in the 17th century, the most powerful count in the country, Per Brahe, also the governor of Finland, lived and reigned at the island.
Nowadays the island has approximately 800 inhabitants and in the village of Gränna a few thousands of people live. There is a lot of agriculture, and summertime the place is a popular local tourist spot. Then there are resturants open and a lot of activities going on at the island, but I lived there for 5 months, however only during the autumn and winter, and therefore I cannot tell about all that.
This is a good homepage, where you can find information about the island: www.visingso.net
- Pros:It's so beautiful, calm and reminding of ancient history.
- Cons:It's a small place, not so many different things to do if you live here in the winter and it is complicated to get to the closest city, Jönköping.
The titel of this tip is perfectly true if you haven't got a privat boat in the lake Vättern. The ferries leave from the... more travel advice
nickenyfiken's Related Pages
Visingsö Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visingsö: An island with history"
- "A beautiful Island in Sweden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Visingsö
- Transportation in Visingsö
- Nightlife in Visingsö
- Restaurants in Visingsö
- See All...
Explore the World
- Grez-Doiceau Hotels
- San Giovanni Rotondo
- Le Faou
- Brookings Hotels
- Poppenbüttel Hotels
- Saint Austell
- Kostromskaya Oblast'
- San Juan
- Fernandina Beach
- Meppadi Hotels
- Isola di Pantelleria
- Sverdlovskaya Oblast'
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Caladesi Island Hotels
- Morro Bay
- Weligama Hotels
Badges & Stats in Visingsö
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Visingsö?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Visingsö
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlskrona Intro, 14 reviews, 8 photos
- Visingsö Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cheboksary Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nizhniy Novgorod Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umeå Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Copenhagen 1 review, 1 photo
- Malmö Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Lund 1 review