"Tondisaar - island in the middle of Lake Võrtsjärv" Tondisaar by TheaIren
Tondisaar Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
Tondisaar has quite intriguing name - Ghost island. Where did it come from ?
Most of Estonian places are connected with some myth and legends...And there sure is one for Tondisaar as well. You can find out more about the origin of name reading my Tondisaar tips.
Island is very small, about 0,5ha of land and it is only 1m above lake water level. A lot of stones surrounds it so, therefor landing with boat might be dangerous but in the northeast you can do that.
Geologically it is a remnant of ice age. There is one Picea, one cedar, betulas and lime trees, alder bushes and briers growing in the island. Island is surrounded by rushes.
- Pros:Off the beaten bath island
- Cons:It needs a lot of arrangements to get there
- In a nutshell:Ghostly tiny island in the middle of lake Võrtsjärv
Archeologist think that Tondisaar was used as a sacred island and sacred grove by ancient estonians. There are legends... more travel advice
Perfect place for bird watchers. Birds you may see in the island are common tern ( Sterna hirundo ), black-headed (... more travel advice
TheaIren's Related Pages
Tondisaar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tondisaar - island in the middle of Lake Võrtsjärv"
- Create a Tondisaar Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Tondisaar
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Tondisaar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tondisaar
Top 10 Pages
- Estonia Intro, 25 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mallow Intro, 15 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Caher Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manilaid Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cavtat Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos
- Nantes Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Vormsi Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Haanja Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Killaloe Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue