"Kallaste is gaining popularity" Kallaste by TheaIren
Kallaste Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 31 photos
Kallaste is gaining popularity because of yearly festival Karakat. But small city
itself is also worthy to visit.
In 1720 a group of Russian Old Believers came across the
Lake Peipsi ( because thousands of Russian Old Believers rejected the 17th century Orthodox Church reforms )and settled in naturally beautiful location where red sandstone is opening up on the shore of the lake.
They called the place Krasnõje Gore ( Red Hills ). It has grown
since and called Kallaste by Estonians.
Most of the villages in the shores of Lake Peipsi are genually
Russian Old Believers villages. Like Kolkja and Varnja. They
keep their traditions in live and therefor the villages have
different look in there than in elsewhere Estonia.
I found nice photo slideshow in YouTube about Russian Old Believers
traditions which might enlighten your interest for these religious people.
In winter time you can often see fish for sell in Peipsi shores, but
in autumn there are lot off onions and cucmbers on sell by the roads.
- Pros:Very idyllic atmosphere
- Cons:Rare connection between Tallinn
Walk around and enjoy the scenery. Look at all photos ! more travel advice
I like to make pictures of details. This is a street sign and it's significant because it is still in two language. In... more travel advice
TheaIren's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Kallaste
- 10 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kallaste?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kallaste
Videos in KallasteSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Estonia Intro, 25 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mallow Intro, 15 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Caher Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manilaid Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cavtat Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos
- Nantes Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Vormsi Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Haanja Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Killaloe Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue