"Käsmu - Captain's Village" Kasmu Jarv by TheaIren
Kasmu Jarv Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 4 photos
I visited Käsmu in valentines day 14.02.2003.
Käsmu village lies on the territoty of Lahemaa National Park in Western-Virumaa, 75 kilometers from Tallinn.
The village is situated on a peninsula. The 6 kilometers long and 3 kilometers wide peninsula is a place of extrem natural beauty. Käsmu was first mentioned in the historical sources in 1453. Käsmu has been always very opulent who have supported the birth of Estonian Republic. Käsmu men's were mostly sailors and captains. It is difficult to find another village from where 60 captains are from ! Even Hemingway have said that there is estonian sailor in each of world's port ! In those days most of the ships have been built in there too. Because of the stony and poor soil, the main source of food for villagers has been - sea. The main catch from the sea is : salmon, lavaret, pike, perch and flounders.
The well known sights in Käsmu are the stone chapel and the church with a garden, which is famous for its sculpture of Signe, created by J.Raudsepp
It is a privat museum. Owner is Mr. Aarne Vaik ( more about that person You can find in...... Mr. Vaik said that hes... more travel advice
TheaIren's Related Pages
Kasmu Jarv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Käsmu - Captain's Village"
- "Käsmu - the romantic fisherman´s village"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kasmu Jarv
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Kasmu Jarv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kasmu Jarv
Top 10 Pages
- Estonia Intro, 25 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mallow Intro, 15 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Caher Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manilaid Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cavtat Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos
- Nantes Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Vormsi Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Haanja Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Killaloe Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue