"Manilaid - Manija - Holm Maunõ - Mannõ" Manilaid by TheaIren

Manilaid Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 61 photos

Island under UNESCO's cultural heritage protection

This is off the beaten bath island even for Estonians. I think that I've heard something about the island maybe twice before I went there. I did'nt know what it's like and even did'nt know it's exact location. Now I know - and this experience I sherish for long time....There is something in the air in that island.

Manilaid is the second biggest island in the Pärnu County after the Kihnu island.
It has only 200ha land and it is only 800 metres away from mainland. The highest point is only 5,2m from sealevel and its width is only 0,5 km. So it's very narrow island and during storms and high sea level island will be cut into three peaces.

History of the island

Firstly mentioned in writing on the 1560 as Holm Maunõ/Mannõ as the hayfield and wishermens restingplace. In 19th century mentions as countries fundland and Pootsi Manor's hayfield. Island had hayfield guards house, few barns, no trees only bushes. In 1933 when Kihnu island became overcrowded, 22 families moved in here, altogether 79 people. Because of that, there are cultural similarities with Kihnu island.

At the Riida Guesthouse

Riida Guesthouse - look into my accommodation tips page !

• Pros:Off the beaten bath
  • Cons:Rare boat connection maybe
  • In a nutshell:Out of the world island - for me.
  • Last visit to Manilaid: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 17, 2009

Comments

TheaIren

“I'm not perfect but part of me is very good !”

Badges & Stats in Manilaid

Have you been to Manilaid?

Latest Activity in Manilaid