"Manilaid - Manija - Holm Maunõ - Mannõ" Manilaid by TheaIren
Manilaid Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 61 photos
This is off the beaten bath island even for Estonians. I think that I've heard something about the island maybe twice before I went there. I did'nt know what it's like and even did'nt know it's exact location. Now I know - and this experience I sherish for long time....There is something in the air in that island.
Manilaid is the second biggest island in the Pärnu County after the Kihnu island.
It has only 200ha land and it is only 800 metres away from mainland. The highest point is only 5,2m from sealevel and its width is only 0,5 km. So it's very narrow island and during storms and high sea level island will be cut into three peaces.
Firstly mentioned in writing on the 1560 as Holm Maunõ/Mannõ as the hayfield and wishermens restingplace. In 19th century mentions as countries fundland and Pootsi Manor's hayfield. Island had hayfield guards house, few barns, no trees only bushes. In 1933 when Kihnu island became overcrowded, 22 families moved in here, altogether 79 people. Because of that, there are cultural similarities with Kihnu island.
Riida Guesthouse - look into my accommodation tips page !
- Pros:Off the beaten bath
- Cons:Rare boat connection maybe
- In a nutshell:Out of the world island - for me.
View Winter colours in that island are white ( snow and icy sea ), blue ( sky ), brown ( bushes ) and yellow ( rushes ) more travel advice
Preorder nesessary !!!!! We had traditional soup. Mmmm, it was delicious and contained three kind of meat's in it -... more travel advice
TheaIren's Related Pages
Manilaid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Manilaid - Manija - Holm Maunõ - Mannõ"
- "Manilaiu island, 25.-26.09.2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manilaid
- Hotels in Manilaid
- Transportation in Manilaid
- Restaurants in Manilaid
- Shopping in Manilaid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manilaid
- 23 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Manilaid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manilaid
Photos in ManilaidSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Estonia Intro, 25 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mallow Intro, 15 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Caher Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manilaid Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cavtat Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos
- Nantes Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Vormsi Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Haanja Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Killaloe Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue