"Ireland's own Taj Mahal" Kylemore by TheaIren
Kylemore Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 24 photos
It's location, architecture and a fact that it was built out of love for a woman - some people call it Irelands Taj Mahal.
Beautiful location was noticed by Mr. Henry already earlier on his hunting trips. Then he came back on his honeymoon and couple fell in love of the place. They made their dream come true. astle was completed in 1871. Mr. Henry was really good with the local people, providing work and school for children. All this happiness ended tragically, when Mrs. Henry died suddenly in 1874.
Mr. Henry sold Castle to Duke & Duchess of Manchester who lived lavish life, castle was mortgaged and was taken over by the London banker. 1920 benedictine nuns purchased the castle and rescued beautiful building from decomposing. They still own it.
There is much to do in Kylemore: visit Abbey, church, gardens, mountain hike, go fishing.
- Pros:Beautiful nature
- Cons:A lot of tourists, maybe
- In a nutshell:Irelands own Taj Mahal
Mountains, forest, lake, gardens - what else do you want from a perfect day? more travel advice
Mrs. Henrys grave is futher up from the church by the lake shore. more travel advice
TheaIren's Related Pages
Kylemore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KYLEMORE ABBEY HOME OF THE IRISH BENEDICTINE NUNS"
- "Ireland's own Taj Mahal"
- "Kylemore Abbey"
- "Kylemore Abby"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kylemore
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kylemore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kylemore
Top 10 Pages
- Estonia Intro, 25 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mallow Intro, 15 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Caher Intro, 19 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manilaid Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cavtat Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos
- Nantes Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Vormsi Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Haanja Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Killaloe Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue