"Leamington, Ontario" Leamington by kris-t
Leamington Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 95 photos
Leamington is a municipality in Essex County, Ontario and has a population of about 25,000. It has a large H. J. Heinz Company factory and it lays claim to being the "Tomato Capital of Canada", with 4 km² of this crop in the vicinity.
Leamington is on the shore of Lake Erie and adjoins the Point Pelee National Park, a major site for migrating birds especially in spring. As such, it plays host to many birdwatchers from Canada, the USA and further afield, especially in the peak month of May. Another important area for nature is the wetland at Hillman Marsh.
The information booth in the center of town is a large fiberglass tomato. The town's water tower, visible for miles in the flat southern Ontario landscape, is also a giant tomato. Its position next to the lake makes it important for recreation. There is a large marina, boat trips to Pelee Island and an auto ferry that runs to Sandusky, Ohio.
The recreational activities mean that this town has a number of hotels and motels catering for the tourist trade
A tropical wonderland of exotic birds and gardens, domestic and miniature animals, flowers and plants. Situated on 35 acres, 3.5 acres which is indoors in Ruthven, Ontario, Canada, between Leamington and Kingsville.
For more information see our Kingsville page!
They also have a large collection of animals. Along with a petting zoo for children, you can find big cats, lemurs, alligators as well as various reptiles and tropical birds just to name a few.
- In a nutshell:http://www.leamington.ca/general/home.asp
Sun Parlour Rodeo began over 11 years ago. Here are a selection of the events featured at the Sun Parlour Rodeo: -... more travel advice
Point Pelee was made a national park in 1918 at the urging of birders and hunters. Commercial fishing continued in the... more travel advice
kris-t's Related Pages
Leamington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leamington, Ontario"
- "Tomato Capital of Canada"
- "There always needs to be a Pointe."
- "Most most southerly part of mainland Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leamington
- Hotels in Leamington
- Transportation in Leamington
- Restaurants in Leamington
- Warnings and Dangers in Leamington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leamington
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Leamington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leamington
Photos in LeamingtonSee All Photos (29)
Videos in LeamingtonSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 229 reviews, 774 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 234 reviews, 636 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 221 reviews, 489 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 108 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 82 reviews, 384 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 64 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 67 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue