"Pelee Winery Veneyards Inc" Point Pelee by kris-t
Point Pelee Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 132 photos
Point Pelee National Park is a park in Essex County in southwestern Ontario, Canada. It consists of a peninsula of land, mainly of marsh and woodland habitats, extending into Lake Erie.
It forms the southernmost point in mainland Canada and is part of a bird and butterfly migration corridor over Lake Erie via Point Pelee and the Lake Erie islands. Over 360 bird species have been recorded in the park. The peak time for bird migration is spring, especially May, when tired migrants make first landfall after their journey north across the lake.
Many birdwatchers from North America and abroad visit the park in spring, often staying in the nearby town of Leamington. One attraction, apart from the sheer numbers and variety of bird passing through on migration, is the opportunity to see more northerly breeding species such as Blackpoll Warbler before they move on.
Point Pelee was made a national park in 1918 at the urging of birders and hunters. Commercial fishing continued in the park until 1969. Point Pelee was the only Canadian national park to allow hunting until duck hunting was ended in 1989.
This site was named "Pointe-Pelée" or "bare point" by French explorers because the eastern side was rocky and had no trees.
- Hillman Marsh Conservation
- Pelee Island Heritage Center
- The Arts Center
- Jack Miner Bird Sanctuary
- Kopegaron Woods Conservation
- Pelee Island Ferry Service
- Point Pelee National Park
- Pelee Winery Veneyards Inc
- Municipal Marina
- Colasantis Tropical Garden
kris-t's Related Pages
Point Pelee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "POINT PELEE NATIONAL PARK"
- "Point Pelee National Park"
- "Point Pelee National Park of Canada (PPNP)"
- "Point Pelee"
- "Pelee Winery Veneyards Inc"
- "LEAMINGTON THE TOMATO CAPITAL OF CANADA"
- "Where it's actually warm in Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Point Pelee
- Hotels in Point Pelee
- Transportation in Point Pelee
- Restaurants in Point Pelee
- Shopping in Point Pelee
- Warnings and Dangers in Point Pelee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Point Pelee
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Point Pelee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Point Pelee
Photos in Point PeleeSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 229 reviews, 774 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 234 reviews, 636 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 221 reviews, 489 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 108 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 82 reviews, 384 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 64 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 67 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues