"Port Elgin" Port Elgin by kris-t
Port Elgin Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 18 photos
Port Elgin is a community in Bruce County, Ontario located on Lake Huron. It is now part of the town of Saugeen Shores. It is the largest community in the town with a population of over 7,000 people.
There is an excellent public beach on the lake. Port Elgin is renowned for its beautiful sunsets. The best viewing period is September and October. The town is close to MacGregor Point Provincial Park. A Pumpkinfest festival is held there on the first weekend in October. In 2004, a new record for the world's largest pumpkin (656 kg) was set at the festival.The General Manager of the Chamber of Commerce is Joanne Robbins, who until her recent promotion organized this festival.
The original economic development of Port Elgin during the 19th century was based on its harbour facilities on Lake Huron which made the village a distribution centre for the surrounding agricultural region. Increasing urbanization in Ontario and the increased importance of the road network for transporting goods resulted in a declining economy and population. More recently, recreation and the nearby Bruce Nuclear Generating Station have dominated the local economy.
The community was named after James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin, a former Governor General of Canada in 1873. Originally, the village here was named Normanton.
kris-t's Related Pages
Port Elgin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Elgin is IT..."
- "Port Elgin"
- "Sunset, Beach, and Narrow Guage Railroad"
- "My home town....."
- "Where I go to recharge!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Elgin
- Hotels in Port Elgin
- Transportation in Port Elgin
- Nightlife in Port Elgin
- Restaurants in Port Elgin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Elgin
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Port Elgin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Elgin
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 229 reviews, 774 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 234 reviews, 636 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 221 reviews, 489 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 108 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 82 reviews, 384 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 64 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 67 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues