Moscow Off The Beaten Path Tips by kris-t Top 5 Page for this destination

Moscow Off The Beaten Path: 338 reviews and 534 photos

4 more images
The best view of Kremlin - Moscow

The best view of Kremlin

Bolshoy Kamenny Bridge

Great Stone Bridge (Russian: Bolshoy Kamenny most), crossing the Moskva River at the western end of the Kremlin, was the first permanent stone bridge in Moscow.

A "live" bridge of boats linked the Kremlin with Balchug on the same site as early as the 15th century. In 1643, Tsar Mikhail Feodorovich engaged an architect from Strassburg to design a stone bridge. Construction works dragged on for four decades and were not completed until 1682 (or 1692, depending on sources). The finally constructed eight-span bridge, measuring 22 meters wide by 170 meters long, was first named Vsekhsvyatsky ("all saints" in Russian) after the nearby All Saints Gate of the White Town of Moscow. On the river bank opposite to the Gate, there was a toll tower surmounted by two pyramidal tents.

In 1858, the ancient stone bridge was demolished and replaced by the first iron bridge in Moscow, which had only three spans instead of eight. The current 487-meter-long bridge was opened in 1938. The bridge, one of the most congested in Moscow, overlooks the Kremlin and the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour.

Review Helpfulness: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Dec 5, 2013
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
4 more images
The Church of the Ascension 2013 - Moscow

The Church of the Ascension 2013

Kolomenskoye Museums Review

A museum in the open air; consists of churches, towers and wooden buildings from the 16th and 18th centuries. John the Baptiser church, The Church of Diakovo village, Voznesenia church, bell-towers, house of Peter the Great, monuments of Russian wooden architecture. The oldest oak-trees in Moscow grow in the park (c.400).

Nearest metro station - Kolomenskaya

The Church of the Ascension, built as a palace church in 1532, is the earliest and the most significant of Kolomenskoye's buildings. It is supposed that the Church of the Ascension is a votive church constructed by Vasily III as an offering of thanks for the birth of his long-awaited son Ivan, to be known as Ivan the Terrible. The Church of the Ascension is known as the Russia's first stone tent-roofed church. The sweeping silhouette of the church resembles the magnificent wooden tower-like churches erected by Russian carpenters. In contrast to traditional Russian domed cruciform churches, the Church of the Ascension was created in the form of a gigantic pillar and has neither supporting columns nor piers.
The entire weight of the building presses against to the walls which are 2.5 to 3 metres thick. The height of the church is 62 metres.

Phone: 095 115-23-09

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Dec 5, 2013
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
1 more image
Catlic church - Moscow

Catlic church

Catlic church

The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Holy Virgin Mary is one of only two Catholic churchesthe largest in Russia.
It's a neo-Gothic church that serves as the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Moscow. Located in the Central Administrative Okrug.

27/13 Malaya Gruzinskaya st., Moscow

Construction work began in 1901 and was completed ten years later. The style was influenced by Westminster Abbey and Milan Cathedral.

The cathedral was closed in 1938 and reopened in 1996. Now The cathedral is once again the setting for regular church services in multiple languages—Russian, Polish, Korean, English, French, Spanish, Armenian and Latin—as well as benefit concerts featuring organ and church music.

Organ and church music concerts take place regularly in the cathedral. Entry is free, except for selected concerts.

Phone: 252-40-51

Website: http://catedra.ru/index.php

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Aug 12, 2012
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
3 more images
Polytechnical museum - Moscow

Polytechnical museum

Polytechnical museum Museums Review

Polytechnical museum is a scientific, enlightening and cultural-leisure centre of Russia, the main museum in history of science and technology.

In December 1991 the Museum was declared a federal property and defined as a particularly valuable object of Russian national heritage, including the Museum itself and the Central Polytechnical Library.

The Museum keeps more than 100 collections with more than 170,000 exhibits. Many of them are unique relics of science and technique. Museum's exposition occupies about 10,500 sq. m. and it is designed according to the chronological principle with the application of original historical documents and materials, relics of science and technology, working models and installations, dioramas.

There are departments of Geology and Mining, Metallurgy, Chemical technology, Engineering, Automation and Computers, Automobile transport, Radioelectronics and Communication, Optics, Meteorology, Cosmonautics, Power engineering in the Museum. Visitors themselves can take part in entertaining physical experiments in the new department "Igroteka", which is an interactive exposition.

Museum offers entertaining programs for parents with children "Day-off in Polytechnical", introducing unique relics of science and technology in museum collection. Special courses for specialists in different lines of training are designed for adults also.

Opening time:
from 10.00 to 18.00 every day

Entrance fee:

for adults - 150 rubles (US 5.00)

for schoolchildren & students - 75 rubles

Ticket offices are open daily except Monday and last Thursday of every month, from 10.00. to 17.00.

The price of excursion:

for adults - 3500 rubles (US 118.00)

Advance orders of the excursion program by telepnone: (095) 923-4287.

Other Contact: 3/4, Novaya Square, Door way ¹ 1

Phone: (095) 923-0756

Website: http://info@polymus.ru

Review Helpfulness: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Aug 12, 2012
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
Moscow Kievskaia - Moscow

Moscow Kievskaia

Moscow Kievskaia railway station

Was opened 29.06.1899
Train movement directions: all trains to the territory of Ukraine and transit in Europe. metro "Kievskaya"

Main directions:

Ukraine:
Evpatoria
Kaluga
Kiev
Kishineu (Mold.)
Lvov
Odessa
Simferopol
Ujgorod
Europe:
Budapest-Keleti
Sofia

Review Helpfulness: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Aug 12, 2012
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
Museum of history of Moscow - Moscow

Museum of history of Moscow

Museum of history of Moscow Museums Review

The Museum of History of Moscow is one of the oldest museums of the city. It's collection was based on the exhibits of the pavilion "Moscow" at the All-Russian Artistic and Industrial exhibition, which was held in Nizhny Novgorod in 1896 where the Moscow City Adminisration displayed its achievements in providing the city with all amenities, improving its medical and sanitary conditions, in a public education, charity. Just in this year the Museum of Moscow Municipal Facilities and Services was opened by the order of the Moscow City Duma.
The Museum changed its name and location several times within a hundred years history. In 1921 the Museum was called Moscow Municipal Museum and was located in Sukhareva Tower - the restored monument of 17th century. Under the influence of the plan of Moscow's reconstruction accepted in 1935 the name and an expositions character of the Museum were changed. In this time it was called the Museum of History and Reconstruction of Moscow and moved into the building of the Church of John the Theologian "under the Elm", were it is located now.

Since 1987 the Museum is called the Museum of History of Moscow.

Phone: 924-84-90

Website: http://www.museum.ru/moscow/mainengl.htm

Review Helpfulness: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Aug 12, 2012
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
Paveleckaya railway station - Moscow

Paveleckaya railway station

Moscow Paveleckaya railway station

Was opened 19.01.1900
Train movement directions: Central part of Russia, West-South part of Ukraine, Baltic countries.
metro "Paveletskaya"

Main directions:

Russia:
Astrahan
Baku
Doneck
Rostov
Saratov
Volgograd
Voronej

Review Helpfulness: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Aug 12, 2012
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
2 more images
Visoko-Petrovsky monastery - Moscow

Visoko-Petrovsky monastery

Visoko-Petrovsky monastery Monuments & Landmarks Review

Vysoko-Petrovsky Monastery was founded in 1380 in the village of Vysokoye by Prince Dmitry Donskoi after his return from the Battle of Kulikovo.

This site was once occupied by the ancient Bogolubskaya Church of Ivan Kalita. It is said that when the Muscovite Prince Ivan Kalita passed this place, he suddenly saw a high mountain covered with snow which all of a sudden melted away, and then the mountain also disappeared. He described this vision to Metropolitan Pyotr a few days before his death.
The Metropolitan explained that the high mountain was the Prince, and the snow was the humble Metropolitan who should take leave of this world before Kalita.

To make a memorial to this miraculous vision Kalita built the Church of the Bogolyubskaya Icon to the Mother of God, which later became the main church of Visoko-Petrovsky Monastery.

The monastery came under the patronage of a boyar family, the Naryshkins, and in particular Natalia Naryshkina Peter's the Great mother.

In 1812 the convent was ransacked by the French, and in Bogolubskaya Church Marshal Mortie sentenced some local people to death for setting fires.

Other Contact: 28 Petrovka St

Review Helpfulness: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Nov 19, 2011
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
History of Moscow - Moscow
History of Moscow

The first chronicle record of Moscow dates from 1147. The foundation of the city of Moscow is related to the name of Yuri Vladimirovich Dolgoruky, a Suzdal prince famous for creating towns (in 1954 a monument to Yuri Dolgoruki was built in the center of the capital).

At first Moscow was one of the smaller towns near the south-west frontier of Vladimir and Suzdal Land. Little by little significance of the town grew. Even numerous wars and devastation could not stop that process.

There are several legends about the foundation of Moscow and origin of the very word «Moscow». One of them tells of the conflict between prince Yuri and boyar Kuchka. The boyar did not show due respect to the prince. For such an attitude the great prince ordered «that the boyar be captured and put to death». On the spot from which the village was taken from Kuchka the prince decided to found «the city of Moscow». In the opinion of historians, real events form the core of this legend.

There is also a legend tracing Moscow's «genealogy» back to … Ilya Muromets. According to that legend, the capital of this great power was founded on the place where the legendary hero had died. The first chronicled record of Moscow is related to the fact that Yuri Dolgoruky met his ally, Novgorod-Seversky prince Svyatoslav there («come to me, Brother, to Moscow») and arranged a feast. Judging by the fact that Moscow managed to feed two numerous druzhinas (princes armed militia), it was already a significant settlement at that time.

Judging by the large number of mounds on the outskirts of Moscow, it was already the center of an agricultural area which adjoined the town.

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Sep 29, 2011
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
1 more image
Podkolokolnui pereulok 16/2, Moscow - Moscow

Podkolokolnui pereulok 16/2, Moscow

Some VT member was born here...

It's not just the house, where I was born, it's an example of Postconstructivism architectural style (early Stalinist architecture before World War II) , wich was build 1934—1936, architect Golosov.
In sixties it were classic Soviet communal apartments (nowdays it's elite apartments) - several families lived in the same apartment with common bathroom and kitchen. My family of 4 had 1 room there.

Podkolokolnui pereulok - street in the Moscow downtown between Solyanka Street and Pokrovsky boulevard, steps from famous Khitrovka (a square in the centre of Moscow from 1820 to 1930, a bawdy place of Moscow, a den for thousands of unemployed and criminals).

Another example of Postconstructivism architectural style is the well-known House on the quay ("House of government ") (see Things To Do for more).

Review Helpfulness: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Jan 10, 2011
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse

kris-t Was Born Here!

kris-t

“Omnia mea mecum porto - I carry with me everything that I really own”

Online Now

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 1 0 0
Forum Rank:
0 1 6 1 0

Badges & Stats in Moscow

  • 234 Reviews
  • 635 Photos
  • 14 Forum posts
  • 49 Comments
  • 28,891PageViews

Have you been to Moscow?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Moscow

Videos in Moscow

See All Videos (5)

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)

Top 10 Moscow Things to Do

See All Moscow Things to Do