"My Moscow..." Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow by kris-t
Moscow Travel Guide: 4,094 reviews and 9,331 photos
"What is there to compare with the Kremlin, with its girdle or crenulated walls, with the golden domes of its cathedrals reclining on its high hill like the crown on the brow of a terrible sovereign…It must be seen, and seen again… And all that it conveys to the heart and to the imagination must be felt".
These were the emotions that welled up in the heart of Mikhail Lermontov, Russia's great early 19th century poet, when attempting to describe the Moscow Kremlin.
Red Square lies at the centre of Moscow, beneath the walls of the Kremlin.
Its history dates back to the distant past.
Over the centuries the square has changed its name many times. It was first mentioned in the chronicles of 1434 as the Trade Square, then after the devastating fire of 1493, it was renamed Fire. In the 16th century they called it Trinity (after the church which formerly stood on the site of St Basil’s Cathedral) and in the 1660s it was given the name 'Krasnaya' (russian for 'red'), which at the time meant 'beautiful', 'best' or 'main'.
You can see here the statue of Minin and Pozharsky (the leaders of the People’s Volunteer Corps in 1612); the Mausoleum of Lenin; the Upper Trading Rows (including the State Department Store (GUM)); the clock at the Savior (Spasskaya) Tower which is always showing the most correct Moscow time; the History Museum; the beautiful Cathedral of the Intercession (the Church of St Basil the Blessed) or Kazansky Cathedral and many other outstanding pieces of Russian architecture.
Tverskaya Street - a Soviet masterpiece. In the years of Soviet power, Tverskaya began to undergo a transformation: it was widened to two and a half times its original size, multi-storey administrative and apartment buildings were constructed, and at the same time, the most valuable of older buildings were moved to other places. Apart from the architectural and historic sights, there are many exhibition halls, theatres and all kinds of shops and cafes on the street.
- Pros:Outstanding architecture
- In a nutshell:you should see this great city!
Nice modern interior, good food, friendly service. Ghampagne bar Nicolas Feuillatte. Open Mon- Th.: 8am-12am; Friday :... more travel advice
A quadrangular pass-tower of the eastern Kremlin’s wall. It has a side-strelnitsa facing Red Square. Built in 1491 by... more travel advice
- See All Live Music every evening!
- See All Some VT member was born here...
- See All Luzhniki - Aqua club "Underwater world"
- See All Monasturskaya Lavka
- See All Will be open some day...
kris-t's Related Pages
Moscow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Moscow..."
- "Memories of Moscow"
- "Mother Russia"
- "Moscow is my Universe"
- "Marvellous Moscow"
- "Moscow - Thrilling capital of Russia"
- "MOSCOW !!! MOCKBA !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moscow
- Hotels in Moscow
- Transportation in Moscow
- Nightlife in Moscow
- Restaurants in Moscow
- Shopping in Moscow
- Warnings and Dangers in Moscow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moscow
- 234 Reviews
- 635 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Moscow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moscow
Videos in MoscowSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 229 reviews, 774 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 234 reviews, 636 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 221 reviews, 489 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 108 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 82 reviews, 384 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 64 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 67 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues