Province of Ontario Favorite Tips by kris-t Top 5 Page for this destination
Province of Ontario Favorites: 40 reviews and 91 photos
Favorite thing: The Detroit River is a 32-mile (51 km) long strait in the Great Lakes system and forms part of the boundary between Michigan and Ontario.
By definition, this classifies it as both a river and a strait (a narrow passageway connecting two large bodies of water).
The river serves as an important transportation route connecting Lake Michigan, Huron, and Superior to the St. Lawrence Seaway and Erie Canal.
Fondest memory: Much of the lower portion of the river is now part of the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge.
The Detroit River is a large part of what makes Windsor such a big attraction for tourists.
Snapping turtle on drive way
Favorite thing: The natural range of this large freshwater turtle extends from southeastern Canada, southwest to the Rocky Mountains as far east as Nova Scotia and Florida.
Fondest memory: Unlike other turtles, they are too large to hide in their own shells when confronted, therefore snapping is their defense mechanism.
Caution! - The turtle can amputate a finger with its powerful jaws and its neck is very flexible. Lifting this turtle with the hands is extremely dangerous.
Favorite thing: The swans are the largest members of the duck family, and they are also the largest flying birds.
The largest species can reach length of over 1.5 m (60 inches) and weigh over 15 kg (33 pounds) and their wingspans can be almost 3 m (10 ft).
Fondest memory: They are just gorgeous!
Favorite thing: This medium hawk, dark brown is a common visitor of our back yard. Some reason it thinks that we are feeting small birds for his dinner...
Fondest memory: Pale underwings with black margins visible in flight.
White gray squirrel
Favorite thing: The adaptable, omnivorous Eastern Gray Squirrel is the native mammal people most frequently see here. Not all of them are really grey, we have lots of black and even white squirrels on our back yard.
Fondest memory: They say the Eastern Grey Squirrel finds buried nuts by using its highly developed sense of smell, rather than by memory.
Favorite thing: American lotus or yellow lotus is native to North America. American lotus is an emergent aquatic plant.
It grows in lakes and swamps, leaves and flowers emerge above the water's surface.
Fondest memory: Flowering begins in late spring and may continue into the summer. The flowers measure 18–28 cm.
Favorite thing: The American bullfrog simply known as the bullfrog here is native to much of North America but live longer in warm weather.
Fondest memory: They grow on average to be about 3.5 to 6.0 inches (9–15 cm) in body length.
Favorite thing: The Blue Jay is native to North America. They are common near residential areas, we have a few. They are hooligans but very timorous hooligans.
Because of its large size, blue coloration and crest the Blue Jay is quite distinctive.
Fondest memory: The Blue Jay measures 22–30 cm (9–12 in) from bill to tail and weighs 70–100 g.
And they are pretty, they have plumage which is lavender-blue to mid-blue in the crest, back, wings, and tail, and its face is white.
Favorite thing: The Great Blue Heron is a large (with a head-to-tail length of 91–140 cm) wading bird. In Ontario pretty common near the shores of open water.
Fondest memory: Herons have been known to choke on prey that is too large.
Favorite thing: With its bright colours, large size (wings span 93 to 105 mm), and slow beautiful flight, the monarch butterfly is one of the most widely recognized of all North American butterflies.
They can been seen in southern Ontario, especially in such areas as Point Pelee National Park. The Great Lakes are a significant barrier to the monarchs' migration.
For a few special days each autumn, Point Pelee is a temporary home to thousands of migrating monarch butterflies. As soon as favourable conditions occur, they begin one of nature's greatest journeys by crossing Lake Erie. Their destination is 3000 km further south in the mountains of central Mexico.
Fondest memory: Some times we can see hundrets of tnem over the house.
More Reviews (46)
- See All Cowboy Shops in Ontario
- See All Rock 'N Horse Fest - Harrow
- See All Amherstburg - The Roots to Boots...
- Antique & Classic Boat Show, Belle River
kris-t's Related Pages
Province of Ontario Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Driving west through the wilds"
- "Discovering Ontario"
- "Ontario, huge metropolis and unspoiled scenery"
- "Ontario, Yours to Discover"
- "Faiza`s & Ifrah`s Ontario, district by district"
- "Ontario - land of contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Ontario
- Hotels in Province of Ontario
- Transportation in Province of Ontario
- Nightlife in Province of Ontario
- Restaurants in Province of Ontario
- Shopping in Province of Ontario
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Ontario
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dangan Castle Hotels
- Ono Island Hotels
- Gonzales Hotels
- Guadalajara Hotels
- Natural Bridge
Badges & Stats in Province of Ontario
- 525 Reviews
- 1,914 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Province of Ontario?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Ontario
- Commented on one of kris-t's Province of Ontario travel pages
- Posted in Travel Moscow Forum "Re: Airport transportation"
- created a Province of Ontario Travelogue "Thunder by the Beach - Grand Bend"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Thunder by the Beach - Grand Bend"
- Wrote a Review Cowboy Shops in Ontario in Province of Ontario Shopping
- Uploaded a Video to Province of Ontario
Photos in Province of OntarioSee All Photos (1914)
Videos in Province of OntarioSee All Videos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 229 reviews, 774 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 234 reviews, 636 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 221 reviews, 489 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 108 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 82 reviews, 384 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 64 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 67 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
Top Province of Ontario hotels
- Toronto Hotels
- 4300 Reviews - 8858 Photos
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- 1442 Reviews - 3585 Photos
- Ottawa Hotels
- 1799 Reviews - 4427 Photos
- Windsor Hotels
- 321 Reviews - 984 Photos
- Collingwood Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Kingston Hotels
- 182 Reviews - 384 Photos
- Mississauga Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 270 Photos
- London Hotels
- 109 Reviews - 315 Photos
- Barrie Hotels
- 114 Reviews - 256 Photos
- Thunder Bay Hotels
- 188 Reviews - 329 Photos
- Brantford Hotels
- 66 Reviews - 48 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 125 Reviews - 344 Photos
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
- 128 Reviews - 292 Photos
- Waterdown Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Bradford Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos