"London, Misty Albion" London by kris-t
London Travel Guide: 24,284 reviews and 52,764 photos
Modern London is not one city that has steadily become larger through the centuries; it is a number of cities, towns, and villages that have, during the past centuries, grown together to make one vast urban area.
London is situated upon both banks of the River Thames, it is the largest city in Britain and one of the largest in the world. Its population is about 7 million people.
London dominates the life of Britain. It is the chief port of the country and the most important commercial, manufacturing and cultural centre.
There is little heavy industry in London, but there is a wide range of light industry in Greater London.
London consists of three parts: the City of London, the West End and the East End.
London is one of the most visited cities on Earth.
Tourist attractions are located mainly in Central London, comprising the historic City of London; the West End with its many cinemas, bars, clubs, theaters, shops and restaurants; the City of Westminster with Westminster Abbey, the royal residences of Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and St. James's Palace; the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea with its museums (the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, and Victoria and Albert Museum) and Hyde Park. Other important tourist attractions include
St Paul's Cathedral, the National Gallery;
the South Bank and Bankside areas of Southwark with the Globe Theatre and the Tate Modern;
the Tower of London;
the Tate Britain on the Embankment;
the British Museum in Bloomsbury.
There are many other places of interest across the city.
Dating back to 1723, when it was a coffeee house frequented by fops and dandies (like us), this is a fine old pub with mock medieval half-timbering both inside and out plus the odd spot of stained glass.
(for more - Nightlife tips)
Every night at 9. 53 p. m. the Chief Warder of the Yeomen Warders (Beefeaters) of the Tower of London lights a candle lantern and then makes his way towards the Bloody Tower.
In the Archway his Escort await his arrival. The Chief Warder, carrying the keys, then moves off with his Escort to the West Gate, which he locks, while the Escort "present arms". Then the Middle and Ryward Towers are locked.
- Pros:amazing city
- In a nutshell:it's never enough time...
An other sentative dish of British cuisine - Steak and kidney pie (other names: Kate and Sidney pie, snake and kiddy... more travel advice
This old-fashioned English family favourite is yummy and goes easy on the wallet. Note: Day-old bread works best in... more travel advice
- See All Visiting Banqueting House
- See All Pubs
- See All Luxury goods
- See All London Pass
- See All Westminster Central Hall
kris-t's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 221 Reviews
- 487 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 229 reviews, 774 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 234 reviews, 636 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 221 reviews, 489 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 108 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 82 reviews, 384 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 64 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 67 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue