"Russia - my native country" Top 5 Page for this destination Russia by kris-t

Russia Travel Guide: 14,785 reviews and 38,352 photos

The name of the country derives from the name of the Rus' people. The origin of the people itself and of their name is a matter of some controversy.
Russia is the largest country in the world, covering one eighth of the world’s surface and spanning 11 different time zones. Population – approximately 146 million.
The Russia was the first to send a satellite (Sputnik I in 1957), an animal (the dog Laika aboard Sputnik II in 1957) and a cosmonaut (Yuri Gagarin aboard Vostok I in Apr.1961).

Moscow. The Kremlin. The Sobornaya square

Russia is a country that stretches over a vast expanse of Europe and Asia. With an area of 17,075,200 square kilometres (6,595,600 mi²), it is the largest country in the world (by land mass), covering almost twice the territory of the next-largest country, Canada and ranks as the world's eighth largest population.

You are welcome to our Moscow page!

You will not grasp her with your mind
Or cover with a common label,
For Russia is one of a kind -
Believe in her, if you are able...

(Tutchev, transl. Liberman)

I will try to give you more general information about Russia on this page; it is a reason why this page was build a bit different than the others: shopping tips are more about Russian folk arts, and restaurant tips - about Russian cuisine.

• Pros:a beautiful nature and impressive historical part
  • In a nutshell:Russia cannot be understood with the mind ...
  • Last visit to Russia: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 2, 2012

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Very interesting and helpful page. Thanx. In Israel (one million Russian new comers on the nineties, you know) we know quite well Russian folklore, Vodka,KARTOSHKA in the markets, Kalashnikovs we took from our neighbours.... Kurchatov was unknown to me. I hope you aware to the fact that the founding fathers of my country came from Russia of first half of 20th century. Warm greetings from Jerusalem

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM

And, FRUITS, you have the berries, in Russia and Canada as well, typical to northern countries. Many of other fruits are imported, I know it.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Oh yes! but in Russia we have berries in the forests and you have to know spots and to bow low to every single one, oh... lots of work, when in Canada even blueberries grow at farms!

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Hi there, how are you? Did you make the Trans Sibirian railway? What feedback you heard about? Greetings from tiny Israel, Avi

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Hi Avi, no I never made it. I used to travel solo, therefore Europe was my usual destination. It is all right for man though.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I enjoyed all the tips, but especially the Russian stereotype tips, very educational. I think the Onion Domes are spectacular! Excellent page Kris!

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Wow, this is coming to be one of my favorite page. I have a strong relation to Russian and what you told here, arise a lot of memories! Thank you Kris!

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Hi Markku, thank you for stoping by. Glad you enjoyed this page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Hi, Kris & Tim! ~ Great and sincere observations! Thanks for your interesting and detailed page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Me again, coming back to look at your recent tips and updates since last January. Very interesting tips and fine photos!

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2011 at 3:35 AM

You have worked very hard to make these excelent tips that will help us to prepare our next travel to Russia Thank you Gracias !!!! By the way : Happy birthday!!!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2011 at 10:29 AM

You did an excellent job of telling of the customs and we have purchased the matroshkas many times-and just got one that are measuring cups for Christmas. YOur pictures are great also.

• Salvador_Lemonez's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Great Local Customs tips! yes! it's our RUSSIA!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 7:47 AM

Interesting customs tips. Perhaps you could mention that the Volga was also a very popular make of cars. And I think we could compete with Russian winters, at least this year.

kris-t Visits Here Frequently!

kris-t

“Omnia mea mecum porto - I carry with me everything that I really own”

Badges & Stats in Russia