"San Marino" San Marino by kris-t
San Marino Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 20 photos
The Most Serene Republic of San Marino or San Marino (Italian: Serenissima Repubblica di San Marino or San Marino) is one of the smallest nations in the world. Located in southern Europe, it is landlocked by Italy, and is one of the European microstates. San Marino is often claimed to be the oldest republic in the world. It was founded in 301 A.D. by Marinus, a Christian stonemason fleeing the religious persecution of Roman Emperor Diocletian.
San Marino, the world's fifth-smallest state, also claims to be the world's oldest republic. According to tradition, San Marino was founded in AD 301 when a Christian stonemason named Marinus the Dalmatian fled from the Dalmatian island of Arbe to escape the anti-Christian Roman Emperor Diocletian. Marinus hid on the peak of Mount Titano (the highest of San Marino's seven hills) and founded a small community following Christian beliefs. The owner of the land, a sympathetic lady of Rimini bequeathed it to the little Christian community. It is certain that the area had been inhabited since prehistoric times, although evidence of existence on Mount Titano dates back only to the middle ages. In memory of the stonecutter, the land was renamed "Land of San Marino," and was finally changed to its present-day name, "Republic of San Marino."
San Marino is the only surviving Italian city-state. Like Andorra, Liechtenstein and Monaco, it appears an anachronism, a reminder of the times when Europe – particularly Germany, Italy and the Pyrenees – was made up of tiny political units, often extending no further than a cannon could fire from a city’s walls. Of all the small European countries, San Marino’s survival is the most surprising. Apart from the Vatican City (whose development followed a different course), it is the only one which is completely surrounded by one other country. Various treaties of friendship have been signed with Italy since the latter’s unification, but San Marino proudly asserts its independence where possible.
kris-t's Related Pages
San Marino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Republic of San Marino"
- "San Marino"
- "San Marino"
- "back to imola gp 1994"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Marino
- Hotels in San Marino
- Transportation in San Marino
- Restaurants in San Marino
- Shopping in San Marino
- Warnings and Dangers in San Marino
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in San Marino
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to San Marino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Marino
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 233 reviews, 602 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 221 reviews, 489 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 108 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 82 reviews, 384 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 64 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 66 reviews, 248 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 74 reviews, 183 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest San Marino hotel reviews
- Titano San Marino
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013