"Greenwich - the Prime Meridian of the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich by kris-t
Greenwich Travel Guide: 375 reviews and 1,036 photos
Greenwich is a town, now part of the south eastern urban sprawl of London, on the south bank of the River Thames in the London Borough of Greenwich.
Greenwich is about an hour boat ride from downtown London and is a great "day trip".
The Greenwich Hospital was founded in 1694 as the Royal Naval Hospital for Seamen.
The hospital was established as a residential home for injured sailors, on the model of Les Invalides and the Chelsea Hospital. The charity now funds sheltered housing for former Royal Navy personnel and the Royal Hospital School at Holbrook in Suffolk.
Here you will find:
Architecture by Sir Christopher Wren, Inigo Jones, Sir John Vanbrugh etc.;
The centre of space and time, Greenwich Mean Time and Longitude 0° at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich Park;
The birthplace of Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and Mary I;
The National Maritime Museum;
The Old Royal Naval College Built originally as a hospital for veteran sailors;
The Cutty Sark, Britain's last surviving tea clipper.
- Pros:full of history
- In a nutshell:enjoy the magnificent views, architecture, history and atmosphere
'In 1730 John Harrison, a self-educated English clockmaker, created a description and drawings for a proposed marine... more travel advice
Fine art: over 4500 oil paintings and over 60,000 prints, drawings and watercolours; Decorative art : silver, ceramics,... more travel advice
kris-t's Related Pages
Greenwich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Greenwich"
- "Maritime Greenwich"
- "GREENWICH, ENGLAND"
- "Greenwich - the Prime Meridian of the World"
- "Britain’s maritime legacy"
- "Green Greenwich, top of the hill, top of the bill"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenwich
- Hotels in Greenwich
- Transportation in Greenwich
- Nightlife in Greenwich
- Restaurants in Greenwich
- Shopping in Greenwich
- Warnings and Dangers in Greenwich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenwich
- 30 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Greenwich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenwich
- updated a Greenwich Travel Page "Greenwich - the Prime Meridian of the World"
- Posted in Travel Moscow Forum "Re: Airport transportation"
- Commented on one of kris-t's Greenwich travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The first marine chronometer"
- Wrote a Review The first marine chronometer in Greenwich Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 229 reviews, 774 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 234 reviews, 636 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 221 reviews, 489 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 126 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 108 reviews, 459 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 82 reviews, 384 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 64 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 67 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara Falls Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue