"Impressions" New Zealand by wrldtravler
New Zealand Travel Guide: 14,447 reviews and 36,446 photos
Having spent a fair amount of time in the US and traveled (fly/drive/ride) around the country I was always amazed at the sheer natural beauty of the continental US.
But, then i went to New Zealand!
They produce the best lamb in the world and some would argue the best people.
Overly outdoorsy and seriously fun loving, you'd be hard pressed to find a kiwi complaining.
There's a natural vibe about the people here and it is contagious.
If only i could record all that i have seen with my eyes.
NZ is one of those countries that keeps you on your toes. Sure you can have a fun week-long relaxed holiday on the beaches but you'll miss so much more.
The country is so diverse and gorgeous it would be a waste to only see part of it. So get out there and Explore New Zealand.
Here's what we did on our trip.
Bay of Islands - We headed out to Opua and joined Great Escape Charters for a 5 day sailing course. I will write more about the sailing and costs in the Things to do section.
Motorcycling around NZ - We rented bikes in Christchurch and drove the entire length of New Zealand's South Island, On both sides..
Day 1. Christchurch -Walau Valley - Kaikoura (attended the annual Sea Fest)
Day 2. Kaikoura - Blenheim - St. Arnaud - Westport - Punakaiki
Day 3. Punakaiki - Grey Mouth - Hokitika - Whataroa - Franz Josef Glacier
Day 4. Franz Josef Glacier - Fox Glacier- Haast - Wanaka
Day 5. Wanaka - Cardonas - Queenstown - Te Anau - Milford Sound
Day 6. Milford Sound - Te Anau - Gore - Dunedin
Day 7. Dunedin - Oamaru - Timaru - Christchurch
Tramping/ Hiking - By this point we had done most of the South Island and even managed a few passes by bike. The weather was uncertain for the higher passes including the Roteburn Trek which we badly wanted to do. But as the weather would have none of it we decided to do Abel Tasman instead.
Day 1. Marahau - Anchorage - Torrent Bay - Bark Bay Hut
Day 2. Bark Bay - Mosquito Bay - Onetahuti Beach - Awaroa
Day 3. Awaroa - Goat bay - Totaranui - Anapai and then back to Awaroa.
We took the last water taxi back to marahau and picked up the rental car (Jucy Rentals) from the parking lot and headed towards Arthur's Pass.
We didn't make it the same night and the next day it was snowing. So sadly didn't get to do the Arthur's Pass Trek.
I will enter all the info on hotels/ restaurants/ places to visit etc. into the NZ page itself. It just gets too complicated when you break 'em into cities.
- Pros:Natural beauty, Amazing biking roads, Great food
- Cons:Fresh Air, Waterfalls, Mountains
- In a nutshell:WOW!
Haven't done it myself. Am currently enrolled in earning my pilot's license But i've heard NZ is an amazing country for... more travel advice
New Zealand wines have earned their reputation alongside the best from italy, france, south africa and Spain. Around... more travel advice
wrldtravler's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 36 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 78 reviews, 79 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 55 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Goa Intro, 32 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Kenya Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2290 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 590 Reviews - 1255 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 630 Reviews - 1671 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 1224 Photos
- Mangere Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1239 Reviews - 2600 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 522 Photos
- Waiheke Island Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 338 Reviews - 786 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 237 Photos
- Hanmer Springs Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 104 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos