"Tórshavn" Tórshavn by jonkb
Tórshavn Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 339 photos
I was here with a choir, so most of the trip was already planned.
Tórshavn means Tors harbour. Tor was the norse god that made thunder when he road with his chariot throuwing his hammer (Mjølner).
It was the vikings that settled on the Faroe Islands and founded the cities here. Tórshavn. is by far the largest city, and the one you're bound to come to if you're arriving to the island by boat.
The islands are officially a part of Denmark, but according to the guide I had, they have more to do with Bergen (Norway) than with Denmark. Originally it was vikings from the western coast of Norway that settled here. When Denmark lost Norway to Sweden (and Norway acclaimed it's independence and constitution), the Faroe Islands stayed Danish. The Islands now have some autonomy, and their goverment is based mostly in Tórshavn.
You should also hav a look at my Faroe Island page.
- Pros:Fresh nature
- Cons:Difficult to get to
- In a nutshell:Sheep, green hills and dark rock
It takes four hours to walk from Kirkbøur to Tórshavn. It's a nice walk and easy walk, but bring something to keep the... more travel advice
Scandinavian languages are verry similar to eachother. Writing danish or norwegian are practically writing versions of... more travel advice
jonkb's Related Pages
Tórshavn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Little Capital City That Could"
- "Tórshavn - Europes Forgotten Capital"
- "Torshavn - Capital of the Faroe Islands"
- "At last, I have managed to get to the Færoes"
- "A lovely place, with very unpredicable weather."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tórshavn
- Hotels in Tórshavn
- Transportation in Tórshavn
- Restaurants in Tórshavn
- Shopping in Tórshavn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tórshavn
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Tórshavn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tórshavn
Photos in TórshavnSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- Bergen Intro, 41 reviews, 28 photos
- Norway Intro, 48 reviews, 15 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trondheim Intro, 20 reviews, 16 photos
- Berlin Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Malmö Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 15 reviews